|Pronunciation:||ZOH-ee, ZOH, ZO-ee|
|Meaning:||life, eternal life|
|Related Names:||Arizona, Zoee, Zoelie, Zoeline, Zoelle, Zoey, Zoie, Zooey, Zoya|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Zoe originates from the Greek “zoe” meaning “life,” “a means of living,” “subsistence,” “goods” or “property.”
The name Zoe was borne by two martyred Saints, two Byzantine Empresses of the 10th and 11th centuries and wife of Tsar Ivan III of Russia during the 15th and 16th centuries.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Zoe ranked as the 1,189th most popular female first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names ten decades since 1880.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 100 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (82nd) through 2006 (54th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Zoe in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:54th
- Year: 2005 Rank:58th
- Year: 2004 Rank:54th
- Year: 2003 Rank:57th
- Year: 2002 Rank:60th
- Year: 2001 Rank:65th
- Year: 2000 Rank:82nd
In 2007, the popularity of the girl’s name Zoe ranked 18th in Australia and 21st in New Zealand.
- Name Days: There are five official name days associated with the name Zoe.
- February 13th: In the Ukraine, this day is designated a Feast Day in honor of the name Zoe.
- May 2nd: The Roman Catholic Church has designated this day an official name day for Zoe to honor Saint Zoe, wife of Hesperus. This day is also an official name day in France.
- July 5th: The Roman Catholic Church has designated this day an official name day for Zoe to honor Saint Zoe of Rome.
- October 27th: This is an official name day in Czech Republic.
- December 18th: Greece has designated this day as an official name day of Zoe.
- “Zoe” is a name belonging to babies of celebrities Aaron Lewis, Amanda Bearce, Gena Rowlands, Henry Winkler, John Cassavettes, Katherine Kelly Lang, Lenny Kravitz, Melina Kanakaredes, Rosanna Arquette, Samuel L. Jackson and Woody Harrelson.
- “Zoe” is the name of a tribe of the Brazilian Amazon.
- “Zoé's Ark” was founded in 2005 and was formed to assist the victims of the 2004 Asian tsunami, particularly the children. It was named after one of the children that was orphaned from the disaster. Controversy arose when on October 30, 2007 some members of the organization were formally charged by the government of Chad for child abduction. On December 26, 2007, six members of the charity were convicted.
- Zoe Motors, Inc. was an early 1980s California-based company known for the construction of the Zoe Zipper, a three-wheeled, single seat microcar.
- Zoe is also the name of a solar powered self-directed robot with sensors that can detect microorganisms.
- “Frannie and Zooey” is the name of a novel by J.D. Salinger.
- “Zoe” is the name of a song by hip hop rapper “Eminem.”
- “Zoe Jane” is a song by the music group “Staind.”
- “Zoe (formerly Fredrick "Freddie" Luper),” played by Jeffrey Carlson, is a character on the television soap opera “All My Children.”
- “Z.O.E.” is an acronym for the video game “Zone of the Enders.”
- “Zoey 101” is the name of a Nickelodeon television comedy series, starring Jamie Lynn Spears as Zoey Brooks.
- Zoe is the name of a Mexican alternative rock band.
- Cyclone Zoe was the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded in the history of the Southern Hemisphere. The Category 5 cyclone was formed on December 23, 2002 and finally dissipated on January 1, 2003. Its winds peaked 180 miles per hour and affected Solomon Island and surrounding small islands. The total population of the island was approximately 1700 people. There were an estimated 70 houses destroyed in the storm. Miraculously, there were no reported fatalities due to the storm.
- Television Characters Named Zoe:
- Zoe was the first transgender character to appear on a soap opera. This character, played by Jeffrey Carlson, is from the daytime soap opera "All My Children".
- Zoe was a cartoon character on the animated series "Digimon Frontier".
- Zoe Heriot was a character in the British science fiction series "Doctor Who" from the 1960s.
- Zoe Web was a fictional character on "Felicity", a television drama series.
- Zoe Washburne is the name of the First Mate on the spaceship "Serenity" on the science fiction series "Firefly".
- Zoe McCallister is a character in "Home and Away," a drama series.
- Zoe is a character played by actress Kari Corbett that appeared in six episodes of "Monarch of the Glen", a drama series.
- Zoe Manning is a child character from the romance drama series "Once and Again."
- Zoe is a cartoon Pokemon trainer on the animated children's series "Pokemon".
- Zoe Brooks is the main character played by Jamie Lynn Spears in the children's series "Zoe 101."
- “Zoe” was a name of a Muppet on the children’s television show “Sesame Street.”
- Movie Characters Named Zoe:
- Zoe is a minor character in the movie "Grindhouse", a 2007 science fiction thriller.
- Zoe is a character played by Tyra Banks in the romantic comedy "Coyote Ugly" released in the year 2000.
- Zoe, played by Abigail Breslin, was a character in "No Reservations" a romantic comedy.
- Zoe was a character in the 1998 remake of "The Parent Trap", a family comedy.
- Zoe Plummer, played by Brittany Snow, is a character in the 2005 movie "The Pacifier."
- Comic Book Characters Named Zoe:
- Zoe Culloden appeared in several in several Marvel comics: "Deadpool", 16 issues; "Wolverine"; 12 issues; "Wolverine Witchblade", 1 issue; "Ballistic Wolverine"; 1 issue; and "Uncanny X-Men", 1 issue.
- Zoe Ishihara was in 1 issue of "Gambit" published by Marvel Comics.
- Comic Strip Characters Name Zoe:
- Zoe is a character in the web comic "Sluggy Freelance" by Pete Abrams.
- Zoe MacPherson is the first child of Wanda and Darryl MacPherson in the comic strip "Baby Blues", started in 1990.
- Video and Computer Game Characters Named Zoe:
- Zoe is a character in the video game called "Little Big Adventure".
- Zoe Castillo is a character in a computer game called "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey".
- Record Company: Zoe Records is an independent label in the U.S. which is part of the Rounder Records group.
- Geographical Namesakes: There is one town in the U.S. named Zoe and its located in Kentucky.
- Actresses and Entertainers:
- Zoe Bell, born on November 17, 1978 in New Zealand, is a stunt double and actress.
- Zoe Caldwell, born as Ada Caldwell on September 14, 1933 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia is an American-based actress. She won four Tony Awards for her work on Broadway.
- Zooey Deschanel – Film and television actress who starred as “DG” in the 2007 science fiction television mini-series “Tin Man.”
- Zoe McLellan, born on November 6, 1974 in LaJolla, California, is a movie and television actress.
- Zoe Naylor is an Australian actress born on February 19, 1982 in Sydney Australia.
- Zoe Tay Hui Gek, born on January 10, 1968 in Singapore, is a Singaporian actress and model.
- Zoe Wanamaker, born on May 13, 1949 in New York, New York, is an American-English actress.
- Zoë Pollock – British pop singer and songwriter.
- Zoe Fairbairns, born in 1948 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, is a novelist, short story writer, poet, radio writer, playwright, and journalist.
- Zoe Jenny was born on March 16, 1974 in Switzerland and is a novelist.
- Zoe Karelli (1901-1998) was a feminist poet with pen name Chyssoula Agriadou.
- Zoe Valdes, born in 1959 in Havana, Cubais a novelist and screenwriter.
- Zoe Wicomb, born in 1948 in Namaqualand, South Africa is a writer.
- Zoe Baird is an American lawyer born in 1952. She was the first unsuccessful nominee for the attorney general under the Bill Clinton administration.
- Zoe Lofgren, born as Sue Lofgren on December 21, 1947, has been a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for the 16th District of California since January 3, 1995.
- Wives of Rulers:
Zoe Smith, Zoe Johnson, Zoe Williams, Zoe Jones, Zoe Brown, Zoe Davis, Zoe Miller, Zoe Wilson, Zoe Moore, Zoe Taylor, Zoe Abbett, Zoe Abbott, Zoe Abel, Zoe Abella, Zoe Abrams, Zoe Abreu, Zoe Acher, Zoe Acheson, Zoe Ackenbom, Zoe Addis, Zoe Agiostrat, Zoe Agnew, Zoe Agoos, Zoe Aguierre, Zoe Aguirre, Zoe Aitken, Zoe Alabaster, Zoe Alameda-farotte, Zoe Abnee, Zoe Acker, Zoe Adamson, Zoe Adcock, Zoe Adenigba, Zoe Adler, Zoe Affema, Zoe Akers, Zoe Al, Zoe Alba, Zoe Albright, Zoe Addison, Zoe Adkins, Zoe Afaganis, Zoe Albers, Zoe Albert, Zoe Albisu, Zoe Barka, Zoe Barnholt, Zoe Abbey, Zoe Abbptt, Zoe Abrahams, More results
|Meaning||life, eternal life +|
|Meaningnc||life, eternal life +|
|Origin||Greek +, and Hebrew +|
|Pronunciation||ZOH-ee, ZOH, ZO-ee +|
|Rank in 2000s||60 +|
|Related||Arizona +, Zoee +, Zoelie +, Zoeline +, Zoelle +, Zoey +, Zoie +, Zooey +, and Zoya +|