|Meaning:||carpenter, timber, wood, man|
|Related Names:||Zimmermann, Zimerman, Zymermann, Zimmerer, Zimerman, Cimerman, Cymerman, Cimermann, Timmerman, Timmermann|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The surname Zimmerman comes from the High Middle German zimer, meaning "wood" or "timber" and mann, meaning "man." The meaning, therefore, is "timber man" which refers to a carpenter. It was an occupational surname given to those who worked in the field of carpentry. Many of the people with this surname were Ashkenazim Jews. The Zimmerman name can be traced back to Medieval Prussia.
The original form of the name was Zimmermann. Variations such as Timmer and Timmerman come from northern Germany.
According to WhitePages.com, Zimmerman is the 290th most common surname in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the surname Zimmerman is in Pennsylvania, followed by Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida.
- Some of the first people with the surname Zimmerman to arrive in the United States landed in 1694.
- The real name of musician Bob Dylan was Robert Zimmerman.
- Zimmerman Swimwear
- Zimmerman's Furniture
- Zimmerman Library, University of New Mexico
- McClure & Zimmerman: flower bulbs
- York Zimmerman, Inc.: film company
- Zimmerman Telegram: an important World War I document from German Foreign Minister Arthur Zimmermann to the German Minister to Mexico, which offered Mexico the chance to control U.S. territories if Mexico joined sides with Germany during the war. The telegram was intercepted, and was part of the reason the U.S. entered the First World War.
- Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
- Arthur Augustus Zimmerman: athlete (born June 11, 1869)
- Eric Zimmerman: artist
- Jeff Zimmerman: baseball player (born August 9, 1972)
- Patric Zimmerman: voice actor (born October 10, 1954)
- Preston Zimmerman: soccer player (born November 11, 1988)
- Roy Zimmerman: satire musician
- Robert Allen Zimmerman: american musician (Bob Dylan)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||carpenter, timber, wood, man +|
|Meaningnc||carpenter, timber, wood, man +|
|Origin||German +, and Jewish +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Zimmermann +, Zimerman +, Zymermann +, Zimmerer +, Cimerman +, Cymerman +, Cimermann +, Timmerman +, and Timmermann +|