|Related Names:||Cefirina, Sefarina, Sefira, Sephira, Tzefira, Tzephira, Tzephyra, Tzifira, Zayfeer, Zayfir, Zayphir, Zefeera, Zefir, Zefira, Zefiryn, Zephira, Zephirine, Zephiros, Zephirus, Zephyra, Zephyrine, Zephyrus, Zéphir|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Zephyr is of Greek origin and means "west wind," from the Greek Zephyros. It may refer to the wind as an abstract force, or to the god of the west wind. It is an unusual name, and may be given to either boys or girls.
Zephyr, the god of the west wind, features in several Greek myths, such as that of Cupid and Psyche, where he transports Psyche to Cupid's cave. He is also seen in the story of Hyacinth. Both Zephyr and Apollo have fallen in love with Hyacinth, but when Zephyr sees Hyacinth and Apollo playing discus together, he uses his wind to throw the discus off course so that it severs Hyacinth's head.
Zephyr is an unusual name in the United States, and has not appeared on the top 1000 most popular names list in any recorded year.
It has had a bit more popularity in other countries: in 2003, Zephyr ranked as the 365th most popular boy's name in Australia. The name, or its variant Zéphir, may have had some popularity in France.
Zephyr is a very popular name to use for companies and products. Some of the more notable usages of this name are Zephyr Hats, the Ford Zephyr car (manufactured between 1950 and 1972) and Zephyr Test Management Software.
As the 21st century opens up, parents are seeking unique and savvy new names, often choosing names that include previously neglected letters such as "q" "x" "y" or "z." With the rising popularity of other Z-names such as Zeke, Zachary, Zayden and Zane, it is quite possible that Zephyr, or one of its many variant forms, may broach the top 1000 chart in coming years.
- Zephyranthes is a genus of flowers that includes the fairy lily, the rain lily and the zephyr lily. They are perennials and are native to North and South America.
- From 1962 to 1963, the Washington Wizards were called the Chicago Zephyrs. The Washington Wizards are a basketball team that currently resides in Washington, D.C.
- In the children's book series Babar by Laurent de Brunhoff, Zéphir was the name of the monkey.
- Zephyr Corporation
- Zephyr Graf-X: Zephyr The Z Hat: Sports Caps
- The Minnesota Zephyr: railroad
- The Zephyr: Illinois-based online news and opinion journal
- Zephyr Software
- Zephyr Adventures: adventure vacation organization
- Zephyr Coffee and Art House, California
- Zephyr Manufacturing: janitorial supplies
- Zephyr Tools
- Zephyr, Ontario, Canada
- Zephyrhills, Florida
- Andrew Zephyr Witten, known as "Zephyr", is a famous graffiti artist in New York City.
- Zephyr Rain Teachout: lawyer and professor at Duke University, involved in Howard Dean's 2004 campaign.
- Zephyr, son of actor Robby Benson
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||west wind +|
|Meaningnc||west wind +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Cefirina +, Sefarina +, Sefira +, Sephira +, Tzefira +, Tzephira +, Tzephyra +, Tzifira +, Zayfeer +, Zayfir +, Zayphir +, Zefeera +, Zefir +, Zefira +, Zefiryn +, Zephira +, Zephirine +, Zephiros +, Zephirus +, Zephyra +, Zephyrine +, Zephyrus +, and Zéphir +|