|Pronunciation:||ecks-ZAY-vee-er, ZAY-vee-er, ZAYV-yer, GZAHV-yeh|
|Meaning:||the new house|
|Related Names:||Javier, Saviero, Savion, Savyon, Xaveria, Xaviell, Xaviero, Xayvion, Xever, Zavier|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Xavier derives from the Spanish surname which originates from the location name “Xavier” in Navarre, in northern Spain. The name derives from the Basque location name “Etcheberri” meaning “the new house.”
Saint Francis Xavier was a Jesuit missionary who spread Christianity in the 16th century. He is the patron saint of the Orient and missionaries in foreign lands and the co-founder of the Jesuit Order.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Xavier ranked as the 587th most popular male first name and the 12,285th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names six decades since 1880, including each of the last six. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 200 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (78th) through 2006 (102nd).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Xavier in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:78th
- Year: 2005 Rank:87th
- Year: 2004 Rank:89th
- Year: 2003 Rank:85th
- Year: 2002 Rank:89th
- Year: 2001 Rank:93rd
- Year: 2000 Rank:102nd
In 2007, the popularity of the boy’s name Xavier ranked 56th in Australia.
- December 3rd is celebrated in France in honor of the name Xaveria.
- “Charles Xavier” is the wheelchair bound mutant, teacher and leader of other mutants in the comic “X-Men” who is better known as “Professor X.”
- “Xavier Institute for Higher Learning” is the name of the fictional mutant school in the comic “X-Men.”
- Xavier: Renegade Angel is the name of an animated comedy television show.
- Xavier Cugat – 20th century musician who was highly influential in infusing Latin music into United States popular music.
- Javier “Javy” Torres López – Professional baseball player (catcher) who was selected as an All Star in 1997, 1998 and 2003.
- Xavier Timoteo Martínez – 19th and 20th century artist who founded the “California Society of Artists.”
- Xavier Malisse – Professional tennis player who is considered the best Belgian player on the ATP tour.
- Xavier Maurice McDaniel – Professional basketball player (forward) who was nicknamed “X-Man.”
- Arlene de Queiroz Xavier – Brazilian volleyball player who represented Brazil at the 2004 Summer Olympics and won a gold medal at the 2006 FIVB World Grand Prix.
Xavier Smith, Xavier Johnson, Xavier Williams, Xavier Jones, Xavier Brown, Xavier Davis, Xavier Miller, Xavier Wilson, Xavier Moore, Xavier Taylor, Xavier Aaron, Xavier Aaronson, Xavier Abad, Xavier Abarca, Xavier Abdullah, Xavier Able, Xavier Abney, Xavier Aboitiz, Xavier Abraham, Xavier Abrams, Xavier Abreu, Xavier Acebo, Xavier Acevedo, Xavier Aceves, Xavier Acosta, Xavier Acuna, Xavier Adair, Xavier Adames, Xavier Adams, Xavier Adkison, Xavier Adorno, Xavier Adrian, Xavier Adrien, Xavier Adriona, Xavier Aekins, Xavier Agee, Xavier Agnelli, Xavier Agnez, Xavier Agosto, Xavier Agramonte, Xavier Aguayo, Xavier Agueros, Xavier Aguilar, Xavier Aguilera, Xavier Aguillon, Xavier Aguirre, Xavier Aizpuru, Xavier Akerekoro-zinho, Xavier Akon, Xavier Akridge, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||the new house +|
|Meaningnc||the new house +|
|Origin||Spanish +, Basque +, and Arabic +|
|Pronunciation||ecks-ZAY-vee-er, ZAY-vee-er, ZAYV-yer, GZAHV-yeh +|
|Rank in 2000s||87 +|
|Related||Javier +, Saviero +, Savion +, Savyon +, Xaveria +, Xaviell +, Xaviero +, Xayvion +, Xever +, and Zavier +|