|Related Names:||Trujillos, Trullo, de Trujillo, de Trujillos|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Trujillo is a regional surname, first given to those who lived in a city called Trujillo in Cáceres, Spain. In Latin the name for the city Trujillo was Turgalium, a word which may have roots in the Arabic language. People with this last name came to the United States as early as the 16th century.
According to WhitePages.com, Trujillo is the 740th most common surname in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the last name Trujillo is in California, followed closely by New Mexico, Colorado and Texas. Within California, it is the 256th most common surname, and within New Mexico, it is the 11th most common surname.
As recently as 1920, the name Trujillo was found almost exclusively in New Mexico and Colorado.
Many conquistadors who explored and conquered the New World were named Trujillo, which may account for its frequency in the United States, as well as its geographic frequency.
- There were 188 people with the last name Trujillo who served in the Civil War, all of them on the Union side.
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic was previously named Cuidad Trujillo. It was named after Rafael Trujillo, dictator of the Dominican Republic in the 1930s and 1940s. It was given its current name, Santo Domingo, after Trujillo was assassinated in 1961.
- Trujillo, Spain
- Trujillo, Valle del Cauca, Columbia
- Trujillo, Honduras
- Trujillo, Peru
- Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
- Trujillo, Venezuela
- Trujillo and Sons, Inc.: food distribution
- Trujillo Services
- Alfonso Cardinal Lopez Trujillo: Catholic cardinal (born November 8, 1935)
- César Augusto Gaviria Trujillo: former President of Columbia (born March 31, 1947)
- Chad Trujillo: astronomer, discovered dwarf planet "Eris" (born November 22, 1973)
- Charlton-Trujillo: filmmaker and novelist
- Dan Trujillo: playwright
- Hector Bienvenido Trujillo Molina: former ruler of the Dominican Republic (born April 6, 1908)
- Marc Trujillo: urban landscape painter (born 1966)
- Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina: former ruler of the Dominican Republic (born October 24, 1891)
- Raoul Trujillo: actor (born May 8, 1955)
- Robert Trujillo: musician, current bassist for Metallica (born October 23, 1964)
- Tony Trujillo: professional skateboarder (born August 23, 1982)
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||from Trujillo +|
|Meaningnc||from trujillo +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Trujillos +, Trullo +, De Trujillo +, and De Trujillos +|