|Meaning:||follower of Christ, river|
|Related Names:||Augustina, Bettina, Christina, Martina, Teena, Teenie, Teina, Tena, Tinamarie, Tine, Tiny, Valentina|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Tina originally derives as a short form of Augustina, Martina and Valentina, but primarily Christina meaning “a Christian” or “a follower of Christ.” Additionally, the Dutch used the name as a short form of Catharina. However, the name has become popularized as its own given name. Others believe the name derives from the Old English “Tyne,” “Tyna” or “Tina” meaning “river.” It is unknown how the name seeped into the public consciousness if that is the case.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Tina ranked as the 92nd most popular female first name and the 27,004th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names every decade since 1880. In the United States, the name has been on the decline since the 1990s. It dropped to the ranking of the 932nd most popular girl’s name in 2006. However, in the 21st century, the name has been quite popular in Norway, although it has declined from a ranking of the 65th most popular girls name in 2000 to a ranking of 143rd in 2006.
Norway Popularity of the girl's name Tina in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:143rd
- Year: 2005 Rank:120th
- Year: 2004 Rank:107th
- Year: 2003 Rank:110th
- Year: 2002 Rank:87th
- Year: 2001 Rank:64th
- Year: 2000 Rank:65th
- May 7th is celebrated in Latvia in honor of the name Tina.
- September 9th is celebrated in Slovakia in honor of the name Tina.
- “Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues” is a song by Ryan Adams.
- “TINA” is an acronym for the political slogan “There Is No Alternative” attributed to Margaret Thatcher.
- “Tina Reilly” is a character, played by Leah Hackett, on the British soap opera Hollyoaks.
- Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock) – Singer, songwriter and dancer dubbed “The Queen of Rock & Roll.” She has won eight Grammy Awards.
- Elizabeth Stamatina "Tina" Fey – American comedian, writer and actress who won two Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program” on Saturday Night Live in 2002 and “Outstanding Comedy Series” for 30 Rock in 2007. She earned attention in 2008 for her Saturday Night Live portrayals of Governor Sarah Palin.
- Tina Louise – Movie and television actress who gained notoriety for her role as “Ginger” in the television show Gilligan’s Island.
- Tina Reynolds – Irish singer who is simply known as “Tina.”
- Tina Yothers – Former child actress who became well-known for her role as “Jennifer Keaton” in the television show Family Ties.
Tina Smith, Tina Johnson, Tina Williams, Tina Jones, Tina Brown, Tina Davis, Tina Miller, Tina Wilson, Tina Moore, Tina Taylor, Tina Aalsma, Tina Aandegbe, Tina Aanensen, Tina Aarns, Tina Aaron, Tina Aarthur, Tina Aasasa, Tina Ab, Tina Abadie, Tina Abalos, Tina Abanba, Tina Abarca, Tina Abare, Tina Abarl, Tina Abascal, Tina Abasta, Tina Abatangelo, Tina Abate, Tina Abbaszadeh, Tina Abbatecola, Tina Abbay, Tina Abbett, Tina Abbott-mccloud, Tina Abbruzzese, Tina Abby, Tina Andrewson, Tina Attah, Tina Bahmane, Tina Gade, Tina Aadil, Tina Abad, Tina Abaquez, Tina Abarelli, Tina Abas, Tina Abbatiello, Tina Abbey, Tina Abbinante, Tina Abbitt, Tina Aalfs, Tina Aardal, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||follower of Christ, river +|
|Meaningnc||follower of christ, river +|
|Origin||Latin +, and English +|
|Rank in 2000s||760 +|
|Related||Augustina +, Bettina +, Christina +, Martina +, Teena +, Teenie +, Teina +, Tena +, Tinamarie +, Tine +, Tiny +, and Valentina +|