|Meaning:||old and wise, God is gracious|
|Related Names:||Jane, Sean, Sheenagh, Sheenah, Sheina, Shena, Shiona, Shionagh, Sina, Sine, Sineag|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Sheena can be traced back, through many mutations, to the name John, which means "God is gracious." Let us trace the history.
The original Hebrew form was Yochanan, which was translated into Greek as Ioannes. John is the English form of Ioannes. The French translated the name as Jean, and the female form became Jehanne or Jeanne. When the name was translated into Gaelic or Scottish, it came out in the form Sine, pronounced SHEE-nah. This was translated into English spelling as Sheena.
Sheena may also be a surname. The surname is Scottish in origin, but comes from a slightly different origin. It comes from the Gaelic sean, meaning "old and wise," and was given as a nickname surname to people with these traits. The original form of the surname was O Seanain.
In the United States, Sheena first appeared on the top 1000 chart for baby girl names in the year 1956, corresponding with the first Sheena: Queen of the Jungle television series. It dropped off the chart again after 1960, and reappeared in 1972. It kept to the lower ranks of the chart until the 1980s, when popularity skyrocketed, jumping from number 995 in 1979 to number 357 in 1981. The surge in popularity is likely attributed to the celebrity of pop singer Sheena Easton. Sheena saw its peak of popularity as the 80th most popular name for baby girls in 1984. The name then began a quick decline in popularity, and last appeared on the top 1000 chart in the year 1993.
Sheena was also a popular name in Canada and Australia. In 1998, Sheena ranked as the 605th most popular girl's name in Canada and the 706th most popular girl's name in Australia.
As a surname, Sheena ranks at number 102,736 on the list of most common surnames in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the surname Sheena is in Michigan, followed by California, Texas and New York.
- In Japanese, a similar sounding word transliterated as "Shina" is a derogatory term for China.
- Sheena: Queen of the Jungle: a comic series released in the 1930s, featuring a blond white woman who was essentially a female version of Tarzan.
- Sheena: Queen of the Jungle: 1984 film
- Sheena: television series starring Gena Lee Nolin. Aired from 2000-2002.
- Sheena: Queen of the Jungle: television series starring Irish McCalla. Aired from 1955-1956.
- "Sheena is a Punk Rocker": song by The Ramones
- Sheena's Place: eating disorder support
- Sheena Chau: actress
- Sheena Easton: singer and actress (born April 27, 1959)
- Sheena Halili: actress (born January 16, 1987)
- Sheena Knowles: author
- Sheena Lee: model and actress
- Sheena Shahabadi: actress
- Sheena Sippy: photographer
- Sheena Tosta: Olympic athlete (born October 1, 1982)
- Shena (Shèna McSween): vocalist (born 1977)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||old and wise, God is gracious +|
|Meaningnc||old and wise, god is gracious +|
|Origin||Hebrew +, Irish +, Scottish +, and Gaelic +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Jane +, Sean +, Sheenagh +, Sheenah +, Sheina +, Shena +, Shiona +, Shionagh +, Sina +, Sine +, and Sineag +|