|Meaning:||the moon, specifically the Greek goddess of the moon|
|Related Names:||Celene, Celie, Celina, Celinda, Celine, Cellina, Celyna, Saleena, Salena, Salina, Sel, Sela, Salena, Selene, Selenia, Selenna, Selenna, Selia, Selie, Selina, Selinda, Seline, Sena|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Selena, although a name in its own right, can also be a form of the name Selene. Etymologically and historically,Selene is most closely traced to the name of a Greek goddess of the moon. Selene is also sometimes identified with the goddess Artemis.
According to the Social Security Administration, Selena has maintained a steady level of popularity in the top 1000 most popular names in the United States since the 1950s. Although it hovered in the high 900s during the first decade of the 19th century, it vanished from the top 1000 list in 1915 and did not reappear until 1952. Selena then managed a steady climb, with occasional spikes, in the decades since. It is interesting to note that the name Selena made a remarkable jump in 1995, the year popular Mexican-American Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla-Pérez (and popularly known simply as Selena), was murdered. During her rise in popularity, the name went from the 600s to the 300s in popularity. In 1995 however, it shot to the 91st most popular name in the United States – from 300 the previous year. It has since remained in the top 300 names or so (please see chart below).
Social Security Administration
|Year of Birth||Rank|
- Selena was the name of a 1997 biographical motion picture starring Jennifer Lopez as Selena Quintanilla-Pérez (known as Selena).
- Lady Selena is a dominatrix located in Leicester, England.
- The Selena Village Hotel is located on the island of Crete in Greece.
- Selena Quintanilla-Perez (1971 - 1995) was a popular Mexican-American Tejano singer commonly known simply as Selena. She released her first album at the age of 12 and was at the height of her success and fame when she was murdered by the president of her fan club Yolanda Saldivar.
- Selena Royle (1904 - 1983) was an actress and Metro Goldwyn Mayer stock player. She starred in almost 40 film and television roles.
- Selena Cross is an Australian singer and songwriter.
- Selena Gomez (b. 1992) is an American actress and singer. She is now starring as Alex Russo on the Disney Channel Original Series called Wizards of Waverly Place.
Author: Mike Szimanski
|Meaning||the moon, specifically the Greek goddess of the moon +|
|Meaningnc||the moon, specifically the greek goddess of the moon +|
|Rank in 2000s||251 +|
|Related||Celene +, Celie +, Celina +, Celinda +, Celine +, Cellina +, Celyna +, Saleena +, Salena +, Salina +, Sel +, Sela +, Selene +, Selenia +, Selenna +, Selia +, Selie +, Selina +, Selinda +, Seline +, and Sena +|