|Meaning:||defender or helper of mankind|
|Related Names:||Alexandra, Sacha, Sasa, Sascha, Saschenka, Sasheen, ZsaZsa|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Sasha derives as a Russian endearment of the Greek names “Alexander” and “Alexandra” meaning “defender or helper of mankind.” In the early 20th century, the Ballet Russe in Paris introduced the name to France. Subsequently, the name was transferred to England.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Sasha ranked as the 893rd most popular female first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names four decades since 1880, including each of the last four.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 500 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (476th) through 2006 (336th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Sasha in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:336th
- Year: 2005 Rank:369th
- Year: 2004 Rank:368th
- Year: 2003 Rank:368th
- Year: 2002 Rank:368th
- Year: 2001 Rank:425th
- Year: 2000 Rank:476th
- “SASHA” is an acronym for “Staffordshire Ambulance Staff Humanitarian Aid” in the United Kingdom.
- “Sasha” is the name of a baby of celebrities Naomi Watts, Sarah Dessen, Vanessa Williams and Rick Fox.
- “Sasha” is the nickname John Dorian's scooter in the television comedy “Scrubs.”
- “Sasha” is the working name of Welsh DJ and record producer Alexander Coe.
- “Sasha” is a nickname for singer Beyoncé Giselle Knowles.
- “Sasha” is a Commanding Officer video game character on Nintendo DS.
- Alexandra Pauline "Sasha" Cohen – American figure skater who won a gold medal at the 2006 National Championships, a silver medal at the 2006 Winter Olympic games, a bronze medal at the 2006 World Championships and a gold medal at the 2003 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.
- Sascha “Sasha” Schmitz (fka Dick Brave) – German pop rock singer and songwriter.
- Sasha Krivtsov (born Alexander Krivtsov) – Russian musician who appeared as the bassist on the television shows “Rock Star: INXS” and “Rock Star: Supernova.”
- Sacha Noam Baron Cohen – British actor who became famous for his starring roles in television show “Ali G” and the movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
- Sasha Mitchell – American actor who first became widely recognized for his role as “Cody Lambert” on the television show “Step by Step.”
- Sacha Distel (born Sacha Alexandre) – French singer.
Sasha Smith, Sasha Johnson, Sasha Williams, Sasha Jones, Sasha Brown, Sasha Davis, Sasha Miller, Sasha Moore, Sasha Taylor, Sasha Aarhus, Sasha Aaronson, Sasha Abdur-rashid, Sasha Aber, Sasha Abramsky, Sasha Abuan, Sasha Ace, Sasha Acosta, Sasha Afanador, Sasha Afanasyev, Sasha Aga, Sasha Abaza, Sasha Abby, Sasha Abdool, Sasha Abelson, Sasha Abrams, Sasha Afanassiev, Sasha Abell, Sasha Aceituno, Sasha Acuna, Sasha Adamsonlicona, Sasha Addair, Sasha Addison, Sasha Adkinson, Sasha Adorno, Sasha Aaron, Sasha Abba, Sasha Abdilla, Sasha Abery, Sasha Abeyta, Sasha Abida, Sasha Ablitt, Sasha Ablovatskiy, Sasha Abraham, Sasha Abrahams, Sasha Abrahamson, Sasha Abreu, Sasha Acevedo, Sasha Adame, Sasha Adams, Sasha Addams, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||defender or helper of mankind +|
|Meaningnc||defender or helper of mankind +|
|Origin||Russian +, and Greek +|
|Pronunciation||SAH-shah, Саша +|
|Rank in 2000s||385 +|
|Related||Alexandra +, Sacha +, Sasa +, Sascha +, Saschenka +, Sasheen +, and ZsaZsa +|