|Meaning:||lighting the way|
|Related Names:||Deepak, Harpreet, Sam, Sandip, Sandy, Sarvesh|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names Work on your Sanskrit and establish your web presence using name.com! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Sandeep derives from the Sanskrit words Sana, which means "old" or "eternal" and deep, which means "light," so the meaning of the name is most accurately translated as "eternal light."
Sandeep may also be a shortened form of the name Sandipani.
Sandeep is traditionally a male name, but it may also be given to females. In Sikh tradition, the name is unisex.
In the United States, Sandeep is an uncommon name. It has not been on the list of top 1000 most popular names in any recorded year.
In Canada, Sandeep is moderately popular. As a girl's name, it ranked as high as number 497 in 1997, and as a boy's name, Sandeep ranked at number 414 in 1997.
Sandeep is also used in Australia, where it ranked 679th in 1997.
Sandeep is, of course, much more common in India, but statistics are less strictly kept, so name popularity information is less accurate than that of other countries. One source lists Sandeep as the 14th most popular boy's name in India.
- The name Sandeep is often cited as a shortened form of Sandipani, and people named Sandeep are said to be namesakes of Sandipani Rishi. Sandipani Rishi is an obscure figure in Hindu tradition. He was Lord Krishna's Guru, or teacher.
- Sandeep Garg & Company: copper company in India
- Sandeep Diamond Corp., New York
- Sandeep Acharya: singer (born February 4, 1984)
- Sandeep Baswana: actor (born May 5, 1982)
- Sandeep Chowta: musician
- Sandeep Dikshit: Indian politician (born August 15, 1964)
- Sandeep Jauhar: writer
- Sandeep Kaushik : India-born Steel Industry Professional
- Sandeep Kaushik: writer
- Sandeep Khare: poet, songwriter
- Sandeep Kulkarni: actor
- Sandeep Marwah: actor (born January 3, 1960)
- Sandeep Pandey: social activist
- Sandeep Parikh: writer, director, actor (born July 23, 1980)
- Sandeep Salvi: Asian Karate Referee, Fitness Trainer, Personal, Celebrity & Corporate Security Adviser, Sports Administrator, Commentator and Presenter on TV & Radio.
- Sandeep Sejwal: swimmer (born January 23, 1989)
- Sandeep Singhal: businessman
- Sandeep Sood: writer
- Sandeep Unnikrishnan: NSG Commando, Indian Military Army (born March 15, 1977)
|Meaning||lighting the way +|
|Meaningnc||lighting the way +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Deepak +, Harpreet +, Sam +, Sandip +, Sandy +, and Sarvesh +|