|Meaning:||his name is God, request of God|
|Related Names:||Sam, Sammie, Sammy, Samuels, Samwell|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Samuel is both a boy's first name and a surname. Samuel is from biblical times— most notably Samuel of the bible who helped lead Israel. This Samuel also anointed Saul and David as kings of Israel. But Samuel was a rare name until after the Reformation, when biblical names became more popular.
Samuel is a very popular name, with a rank of 25 in the year 2006 in the United States.
|Year of Birth||Rank|
Samuel seems to be similarly popular in Canada, Australia, England and Wales (remaining in the top 40 rankings since at least 1998). Samuel is also popular in Ireland, Sweden and Scotland, though the name is less popular than compared to the United States.
- Samuel Morse originated the Morse code with his assistant, and improved the telegraph machine to be practical (originally the telegraph machine require 26 wires, Morse created a one wire telegraph system). The telegraph allowed for speedy cross-country communications, and the Morse code is still in use today.
- Mark Twain's real name was Samuel Clemens.
- Samuel Adams was a famous American revolutionary during the Revolutionary War. He was also related to American presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams. He did not actually start the beer company--though he was a brewer himself.
- Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician, discovered the idea of homeopathy--the idea that like can cure like.
- In the tv show OZ, there is a prisoner named Samuel Gougeon
- Samuel Adams: the label name of the Boston Beer Company
- Samuel L. Jackson: Born on December 21, 1948, Actor
- Samuel Clemens: Born on November 30, 1835, American humorist, satirist, and writer (Also known as Mark Twain)
- Samuel Goldwyn: Born in 1879, American film maker
- Samuel Moore Walton: Born in 1918, founder of Wal-Mart
- Samuel Gompers: Born in 1886, helped found the American Federation of Labor.
- Samuel Ramey: Born on March 28, 1942, American opera singer
Samuel Smith, Samuel Johnson, Samuel Williams, Samuel Jones, Samuel Brown, Samuel Davis, Samuel Miller, Samuel Wilson, Samuel Moore, Samuel Taylor, Samuel Aadnes, Samuel Aana, Samuel Aaron, Samuel Aaronian, Samuel Aarons, Samuel Aaronson, Samuel Ab, Samuel Abadom, Samuel Abady, Samuel Abaga, Samuel Abaidoo, Samuel Abakwue, Samuel Abalos, Samuel Aban, Samuel Abanga, Samuel Abankwa, Samuel Abanyie, Samuel Abaowa, Samuel Abara, Samuel Abarbanel, Samuel Abarca, Samuel Abatayo, Samuel Abate, Samuel Abatta, Samuel Abayowa, Samuel Abban, Samuel Abbate, Samuel Abbey, Samuel Abbinanti, Samuel Abbood, Samuel Abbot, Samuel Abbott, Samuel Abdel, Samuel Abdella, Samuel Ascencio, Samuel Augustian, Samuel Ausch, Samuel Bacastow, Samuel Calderone, Samuel Gaines, More results
Author: Anna Linstrom
|Meaning||his name is God, request of God +|
|Meaningnc||his name is god, request of god +|
|Rank in 2000s||24 +|
|Related||Sam +, Sammie +, Sammy +, Samuels +, and Samwell +|