|Related Names:||Sal, Salcia, Saletta, Sallee, Salletta, Sallette, Salley, Sallianne, Sallie, Sallyann, Sarah, Seely, Tally|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Sally originally derived from Hebrew as a pet form of the name “Sarah” meaning “princess” or “lady.” However, over time, it gained traction as an name independent of Sarah. Additionally, Sally was used in Ireland to Anglicize the Gaelic “Sadhbh,” “Sue,” and “Sorcha.” In Italy, Sally is a nickname for the masculine name “Salvatore” or “Sal.”
According to the 1990 United States Census, Sally ranked as the 167th most popular female first name and the 21,267th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names every decade since 1880. During the 21st century, the popularity of the girl’s name Sally has steadily been on the decline.
The name Sally does not seem to be extremely popular in any country during the 21st century, but Sweden appears to be the most notable in terms of the ranking of the girl’s name.
Sweden Popularity of the girl's name Sally in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:228th
- Year: 2005 Rank:230th
- Year: 2004 Rank:245th
- Year: 2003 Rank:365th
- Year: 2002 Rank:231st
- Year: 2001 Rank:254th
- Year: 2000 Rank:245th
- Sally is a nickname for the Salvation Army.
- "Mustang Sally" is a song written by Mack Rice in 1965, which has been covered many times by various artists, beginning with Wilson Pickett and including Eric Clapton.
- "Long Tall Sally" is a song by the famous pop rock group “The Beatles.”
- "Sally Ann" is a song by Rufus Wainwright.
- "Sally Can't Dance" is a song by The Velvet Underground.
- "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley" is a song by Robert Palmer.
- "Mustang Sally" is the name of an all-female musical group.
- "Sally" is a song by Dame Gracie Fields.
- "Sally" is an independent, noise rock band.
- When Harry Met Sally was a 1989 romantic comedy film.
- "I Hate Sally" is a hardcore metal music group.
- Sally Margaret Field – Actress who won two Academy Awards (Oscars).
- Sally Ride - Astronaut who was the 1st US woman in space.
- Sally-Ann Struthers – Television and film actress.
- Sally Jessy Raphael (born Sally Lowenthal) – Talk show host best known for her self-titled talk show.
- Sally Morgan - Australian Aboriginal writer and artist.
- Sally Morgan, Baroness Morgan of Huyton – British Labour Party politician.
- Sally Carrighar – American author and naturalist.
Sally Smith, Sally Johnson, Sally Williams, Sally Jones, Sally Brown, Sally Davis, Sally Miller, Sally Wilson, Sally Moore, Sally Taylor, Sally Aadland, Sally Aalfs, Sally Aamodt, Sally Aardema, Sally Aarif, Sally Aaron, Sally Aaronson, Sally Abarca, Sally Abare, Sally Abarta, Sally Abaza, Sally Abbas, Sally Abbed, Sally Abbondanzio, Sally Abdalla, Sally Abdel-malek, Sally Abdelnour, Sally Abdelrahman, Sally Abdill, Sally Abdulaziz, Sally Abdullah, Sally Armstrong-bartley, Sally Aalgaard, Sally Aamoth, Sally Aarons, Sally Aasen, Sally Abad, Sally Abady, Sally Abair, Sally Abankwa, Sally Abarr, Sally Abate, Sally Abbananto, Sally Abbazia, Sally Abbe, Sally Abbonizio, Sally Abbott, Sally Abbotts, Sally Abdelal, Sally Abdelkader, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Origin||Hebrew +, and English +|
|Pronunciation||SAL-lee, sal-ee +|
|Rank in 2000s||993 +|
|Related||Sal +, Salcia +, Saletta +, Sallee +, Salletta +, Sallette +, Salley +, Sallianne +, Sallie +, Sallyann +, Sarah +, Seely +, and Tally +|