|Related Names:||Saige, Sayge|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Sage originally comes from the Mediterranean region, but it may now be found in many parts of the world. Sage leaves have many culinary uses, but they have also been recommended medically to treat dyspepsia and excessive sweating, and may be mixed as a gargle to treat coughs and colds. Experimentally, the plant has shown potential for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Sage first appeared on the list of top 1000 names in the United States in the year 1993. Its highest rank so far was in 2004 when it ranked 361. In 2006, Sage was ranked at number 415th most popular name for a girl in the United States.
Sage is also popular in other countries:
- 230th - as a girl's name in Canada (BC) (2005)
- 426th - as a boy's name in Canada (BC) (2005)
- 545th - as a boy's name in Australia (2003)
- 679th - as a girl's name in Australia (2003)
- 2726th - as a boy's name in Belgium (2004)
Sage is a common last name. It's the 3241st most common surname in the United States (according to the 1990 U.S. Census). According to WhitePages.com, it is ranked at number 2,705. The highest concentration of people with the last name Sage is to be found in California, followed by Michigan, New York and Florida.
- Sage Creek Campground: Custer National Forest, southwest Montana, elevation 6000 feet. The campground is 17 acres.
- Sage may be used to cleanse and bless your home, a process also known as smudging. You are supposed to carry it through the house letting the smoke fill each room and each corner. Sage is burned in smudging to drive out bad spirits, feelings, or influences, and also to keep bad spirits from entering the area.
- The Sage: an English Dictionary and Thesaurus professional software package. It integrates a complete dictionary and multifaceted thesaurus into a comprehensive language reference system.
- John Sage was the Castle Torturer of Chillingham Castle around 1200 AD. Sage was formerly a soldier of King Edward 'Longshanks'. After being injured by a spear to his leg, he earned the nickname "Dragfoot." It's a popular belief John Sage that haunts the castle. 
Towns named Sage:
- Sage, Arkansas
Television Characters named Sage:
- Sage Tenney Snyder As the World Turns
- Sage Rosenfels: football player (born March 6, 1978)
- Harry Sage: baseball player (born March 16, 1864)
- Kay Sage: artist (born June 26, 1898)
- Bill Sage: actor (born July 17, 1962)
Celebrity babies named Sage:
- Sage Moonblood (born May 5, 1976), child of Sylvester Stallone
- Sage Florence (born January 9, 2008), child of Toni Collette
- Sage (born February 16, 1997), child of Tracey Gold
|Meaning||wise, healthy +|
|Meaningnc||wise, healthy +|
|Rank in 2000s||423 +|
|Related||Saige +, and Sayge +|