|Pronunciation:||rahk-SAN, rahk-SAN, rok-SAN, roks-ANN|
|Meaning:||dawn of day|
|Related Names:||Oksana, Oksanna, Roksanne, Rosanne, Roxana, Roxandra, Roxane, Roxann, Roxanna, Roxeena, Roxene, Roxey, Roxi, Roxiane, Roxianne, Roxie, Roxine, Roxy, Roxyanna, Ruksana, Ruksane, Ruksanna|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Roxanne derives from the Greek “Roxane,” which stems from the Persian “Roschana” meaning “dawn of day.”
In the 4th century B.C., the Persian Princess Roxana (or Roxanna) was the wife of Alexander the Great, until they were both assassinated.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Roxanne ranked as the 389th most popular female first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names six decades since 1880, including every decade in the 20th century after the 1930s. In the 21st century, the name dropped out of the Top 1,000 most popular girl's in the United States. However, the name has experienced some popularity in Australia, Canada and Belgium. In Belgium, the name ranked in the Top 600 most popular girls' names from 2002 (412th) through 2005 (581st).
Belgium Popularity of the girl's name Roxanne in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2005 Rank:581st
- Year: 2004 Rank:565th
- Year: 2003 Rank:591st
- Year: 2002 Rank:412th
- “Roxanne” was a category three hurricane during the 1995 Atlantic hurricane season.
- “Roxanne” is a song by the rock band “The Police.”
- “Roxane” is Cyrano's love interest in the 1897 play “Cyrano de Bergerac” by Edmond Rostand, based on the life of Cyrano de Bergerac.
- “Roxanne” is a 1987 comedic romance movie featuring Daryl Hannah and Steve Martin who was nominated for a Golden Globe for his work in the movie for “Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical.” The movie is based on the play Cyrano de Bergerac.
- The “Roxanne Wars” were hip hop battles in the 1980s, featuring Roxanne Shanté (born Lolita Shanté Gooden) and “The Real Roxanne” (born Adelaida Martinez).
- “Roxanne” is the name of the lead character Max’s love interest in the animated cartoon A Goofy Movie.
- Roxanne Shanté (born Lolita Shanté Gooden) – American hip hop pioneer who rose to notoriety for her involvement in the “Roxanne Wars.”
- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz – Activist who protested the Vietnam War and was an important figure of the radical feminist group “Cell 16” in the late 1960s.
- Roxanne Swentzell – Native American artist of Santa Clara Pueblo, New Mexico.
Roxanne Smith, Roxanne Johnson, Roxanne Williams, Roxanne Jones, Roxanne Brown, Roxanne Davis, Roxanne Miller, Roxanne Wilson, Roxanne Moore, Roxanne Taylor, Roxanne Acac, Roxanne Akhavan, Roxanne Aaron, Roxanne Aasen, Roxanne Abad, Roxanne Abadie, Roxanne Abalos, Roxanne Abarcar, Roxanne Abbamonte, Roxanne Abbas, Roxanne Abbe, Roxanne Abbott, Roxanne Abbracciamento, Roxanne Abbruzzese, Roxanne Abder, Roxanne Aber, Roxanne Abercrumbia, Roxanne Abernathy, Roxanne Abeyta, Roxanne Abfalter, Roxanne Abieras, Roxanne Abilez, Roxanne Abing, Roxanne Abitbol, Roxanne Ableman, Roxanne Aboueida, Roxanne Abramo, Roxanne Abramouski, Roxanne Abramowitz, Roxanne Abrams, Roxanne Abruzzo, Roxanne Absher, Roxanne Abston, Roxanne Abuhajar, Roxanne Aburamen, Roxanne Accardi, Roxanne Abbeduto, Roxanne Abraham, Roxanne Abshire, Roxanne Abuyabor, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||dawn of day +|
|Meaningnc||dawn of day +|
|Origin||Persian +, and Greek +|
|Pronunciation||rahk-SAN, rahk-SAN, rok-SAN, roks-ANN +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Oksana +, Oksanna +, Roksanne +, Rosanne +, Roxana +, Roxandra +, Roxane +, Roxann +, Roxanna +, Roxeena +, Roxene +, Roxey +, Roxi +, Roxiane +, Roxianne +, Roxie +, Roxine +, Roxy +, Roxyanna +, Ruksana +, Ruksane +, and Ruksanna +|