|Meaning:||little seal or samurai warrior|
|Related Names:||Ronin, Roanin, Ronnie|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Ronan has two distinct histories - Irish/Gaelic/Celtic and Japanese. The Irish roots (and the meaning “little seal”) go back over 1,000 years. Most men who have had the name in Ireland and in English-speaking countries were given the name because of their Irish roots.
In Japan, Ronan has had some negative associations and can be traced back to between the 9th and 12th centuries, when samurai warriors (ronins) protected the property of wealthy land owners.  Today, a student who fails the college entrance exam is often called a ronin.
The name has been used as both a given name and a surname. According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, the name ranked 554 on the top 1,000 most popular male names for babies born in 2007. It had appeared on the list every year since 2001, when it held the 859 position  The U.S. Census Bureau does not rank Ronan as a first name. As a surname, it ranks 11,642, with a percent frequency of 0.001.  In recent years, a growing number of parents have chosen Ronan as a boy's name, perhaps because it sounds strong and masculine. Others want a name that reflects their Irish ancestry. The sudden arrival of the name on the SSA list in 2001 might be associated with the numerous inspirational performances by Irish tenor Ronan Tynan in New York City following the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- Ronan, Montana is a town with about 1,800 residents. It is located in a rich agricultural area that is also known for its majestic mountain views and good fishing. The town was named after Peter Ronan, superintendent of the Flathead Indian Reservation, in 1885. 
- Ronan Paints is a specialty paint company in The Bronx, New York. It has been in business since 1889 and is well-known in the home décor industry for its faux finishing products.
- Ronan Engineering is a manufacturing company that has been in business in California since 1959. It makes relay alarm systems and other electronic circuitry products for various industrial uses. 
- Ronan Cellars is a wine company in the San Antonio Valley of Monterey County, California. The wine grapes grown in that valley have unique varietal qualities and have produced award-winning Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Saint Ronan refers to more than one person who achieved this holy recognition.
- February 7 is the designated day to honor Ronan of Kilmaronen, a Scottish bishop who, according to tradition, drove the devil out from a valley in Scotland. 
- February 9 honors Saint Ronan of Lismore, Ireland. He was a bishop in the Catholic Church during the 8th century.
- August 18 is the memorial for Saint Ronan of Iona, another Irish saint. He was a 7th century monk who worked on establishing an accurate date to celebrate Easter. 
- Ronan is a Marvel Comics character known as Ronan the Accuser. According to the plotline, he comes from a prominent Kree aristocratic family on Hala. He came to Earth to go after the famous Fantastic Four, themselves the subjects of many books and films.
- Ronan is a character in the Harry Potter series of books and movies. He is a centaur who lives in the Forbidden Forest and leads the centaurs during the Battle of Hogwarts.
- Saint Ronan's Well is a novel by famous 18th-19th-century Scottish writer/poet Sir Walter Scott. The book is set in the fictional spa-town of Saint Ronan's. Its characters are a satirical portrayal of high society living in more rural areas.
- Ronan Hardiman is an Irish composer of traditional music. He wrote the score for Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance and Celtic Tiger, and for various movies and TV shows.
- Ronan Keating is an Irish singer who was born in Dublin on March 3, 1977. He is a former member of the popular boy band Boyzone. His albums have sold well all over the world - more than 21 million copies and still counting!.
- Ronan Tynan is an Irish tenor who has touched the hearts of admirers on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean and beyond all national borders. Born in Dublin, Ireland on May 14, 1960, he had physical disabilities which eventually necessitated the amputation of both lower legs. Despite these challenges, he became an accomplished athlete who also attended medical school before pursuing a career in music. Among the songs associated with him are The Impossible Dream, Danny Boy and God Bless America, which he sang at numerous public events following 9-11. He sang Amazing Grace and Schubert’s Ave Maria at the funeral of President Ronald Reagan in 2004.
- Ronan Chris Murphy is a recording artist and a record producer/engineer/mixer in southern California. He has worked on projects for Peter Gabriel, John Lennon and Pink Floyd.
- Saoirse Ronan is an actress who was born in NYC on April 12, 1994 but has spent most of her formative years in her parents‘ native country, Ireland. She was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for her portrayal as the young Briony Tallis in the 2007 acclaimed film Atonement.
Ronan Abshire, Ronan Acierto, Ronan Acot, Ronan Adams, Ronan Adiduyulmus, Ronan Babbitt, Ronan Bailey, Ronan Baird, Ronan Bakker, Ronan Lennon, Ronan Molloy, Ronan Paint, Ronan Macallister, Ronan Blurton, Ronan Ceannt, Ronan Nestor, Ronan Lynam, Ronan Abella, Ronan Mchale, Ronan Gaines, Ronan Kelly, More results
|Meaning||little seal or samurai warrior +|
|Meaningnc||little seal or samurai warrior +|
|Origin||Irish +, Gaelic +, Celtic +, and Japanese +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Ronin +, Roanin +, and Ronnie +|