|Related Names:||Raymond, Raymundo, Ramona, Ramone, Rayman, Raymon|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Ramon is a variation of the name Raymond, which in its original Germanic form was Reginmund. This name derives from the Germanic words ragin, meaning "advice" and mund meaning "protector." Reginmund was transferred into French usage as Reimund or Raimund. Raimund then became Raymond, which was a common Merovingian name. Raymond was then translated into Spanish and Portuguese as Raimundo or Reymundo, and that was shortened to Ramón. The form Ramon or Ramón is attributed to the Catalan dialect.
Ramon may also be a surname. The surname may come from the Arabic Ruman, meaning "Roman."
Ramon has long been a popular name in the United States. It appeared consistently in the top 400 names for baby boys during the entire 20th century, reaching its high point at number 184 in 1930. In 2007, Ramon ranked as the 381st most popular name for baby boys.
Ramon is a very popular boy's name in Catalonia. It was recently most popular in 1999, when it ranked as the 59th most popular choice for baby boys. In 2003, Ramon ranked at number 90.
Ramon is a moderately popular name in Australia. In 2000, Ramon could be found at the 548th position on the list of most popular baby boy names in Australia.
According to WhitePages.com, Ramon ranks at number 3,972 on the list of most common surnames in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the surname Ramon is in Texas, followed by California, Florida and New York.
- August 31st is recognized as a Name Day for Ramon in Slovakia.
- San Ramon, California
- Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
- The Ramon Crater, Israel
- Ramón Castillo: Argentine politician (born November 20, 1873)
- Ramon Castro: baseball player (born March 1, 1976)
- Ramon Estevez: actor (born August 7, 1963)
- Ramón Hernández: baseball player (born May 20, 1976)
- Ramón Martínez: baseball player (born March 22, 1968)
- Ramón Novarro: actor (born February 6, 1899)
- Ramón Peña: baseball player (born May 5, 1962)
- Ramon de los Santos: baseball player (born January 19, 1949)
- Ramón del Valle-Inclán: author and dramatist (born October 28, 1866)
- Ramón Vargas: Opera singer (born 1960)
- Ramón Vázquez: baseball player (born August 21, 1976)
- Ramón Vinay: Opera singer, tenor (born August 31, 1911)
- Juan Ramón Jiménez: poet (born December 24, 1881)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||protector, decision-maker +|
|Meaningnc||protector, decision-maker +|
|Origin||Spanish +, German +, and Catalan +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Raymond +, Raymundo +, Ramona +, Ramone +, Rayman +, and Raymon +|