|Meaning:||flute player; a young dove|
|Related Names:||Pepper, Pip, Pipere, Pyper|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com.
We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
"Piper" is also a synonym for a squab, particularly that of a dove or pigeon.
Piper first appeared on the top 1000 most popular names in the United States in 1999. It was ranked as the 246th most popular girl's name in the United States in 2006. The name is more popular in Australia and New Zealand.
Piper is a common last name. It was the 1,298th most common surname in the United States according to the 1990 U.S. Census. According to WhitePages.com, the name ranks at number 1,314. Most people with the last name Piper are to be found in Pennsylvania. 
The popularity of the name Piper in other countries:
- 97th - as a girl's name in New Zealand (2003)
- 136th - as a girl's name in Australia (NSW) (2003)
- 267th - as a girl's name in Canada (BC) (2005)
- 2989th - as a girl's name in Belgium (2004)
Piper is a popular name for both dogs and cats. 
- Piper Boats is a UK luxury leisure boat manufacturer in the UK. The Piper family has been in the Boat Building business since 1968. More than 400 Piper boats grace the British Waterways.
- Heidemarie M. Stefanyshyn-Piper (CAPTAIN, USN) is a NASA Astronaut. She was selected as an astronaut candidate by NASA in April 1996. Piper served as a mission specialist on STS-115, during which she logged more than 12 days in space. She is assigned to the crew of STS-126 targeted for launch in September, 2008.
- New Zealand Piper, Hyporhamphus ihi, is a species of fish. The Piper,also known as garfish, are widespread around New Zealand. They are normally found in harbors and bays and are may be seen skipping or gliding along the surface. They grow to 40 centimeters. They are edible, though they have many small bones.
- Piper is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics Universe.
- Piper's Opera House is an infamous haunted theatre in Virginia City, Nevada. The ghost is thought to be John Piper, whose smell of cigar smoke lets patrons know his presence. Patrons and employees have also said they've seen a female apparition, dressed in white, standing at the top of the balcony during performances.
Towns in the United States named Piper:
- Piper City, Illinois
- Pipersville, Pennsylvania 
Television characters named Piper:
- Piper Halliwell (Charmed) 
Movie characters named Piper:
- Piper Dellums (The Color of Friendship)
- Piper (Taboo)
- Piper (Robots)
Songs that include the name Piper:
- "Peter Piper" (Run DMC)
- "Pied Piper" (Crispin St. Peter)
- "Piper" (Phish) 
- Piper Perabo (actress) born October 31, 1976
- Piper Laurie (actress) born January 22, 1932
- Piper Cochrane (actress)
Celebrity babies named Piper:
- Piper, child of Brian Depalma
- Piper, child of Gillian Anderson
- Piper, child of Melissa Sue
- Piper, daughter of Governor Sarah Palin
Celebrities with Piper as a last name:
- Billie Piper (musician)
- Joan Piper (writer)
- Matthew Piper (professional soccer player in England)
- Norman Piper (professional soccer player)
- Roddy Piper (wrestler)
- Rose Piper (American Modernism artist) 
|Meaning||flute player; a young dove +|
|Meaningnc||flute player; a young dove +|
|Rank in 2000s||309 +|
|Related||Pepper +, Pip +, Pipere +, and Pyper +|