|Meaning:||bright one, bright, moon, purity, radiance|
|Related Names:||Febe, Pheabe, Phebe, Pheby, Phoebey, Phoeboe|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Phoebe originates from the Greek “Phoibe” deriving as a feminine version of the name “Phoibos” meaning “bright one,” stemming from “phoibos” meaning “bright.” Phoebe is also associated with the moon, purity and radiance.
In the New Testament of the Bible, Phoebe is a deaconess of the church at Cenchrea.
In Greek mythology, Phoebe – mother of Apollo and Artemis – is associated with the moon. Additionally, it is another name for the Goddess of the moon, Artemis, who is the granddaughter of the aforementioned Phoebe.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Phoebe ranked as the 949th most popular female first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names from the 1880s through the mid 1950s, only intermittently through the 1980s until climbing back into the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names in 1989, where it has remained since.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (440th) through 2006 (366th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Phoebe in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:366th
- Year: 2005 Rank:425th
- Year: 2004 Rank:406th
- Year: 2003 Rank:436th
- Year: 2002 Rank:437th
- Year: 2001 Rank:388th
- Year: 2000 Rank:440th
In 2007, the popularity of the girl’s name Phoebe ranked 56th in Australia.
- “Phoebe” is a name bestowed upon children of celebrities Bill Gates, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lithgow, Lisa Peluso, Sherry Stringfield and Vernon Kay. 
- “Phoebe” is the name of one of the moons of Saturn, in honor of the Greek mythological figure.
- September 3rd is celebrated by Greece in honor of the name Phoebe. 
--220.127.116.11 20:02, 28 November 2008 (MST)==NAMESAKES==
- "Phoebe Buffay", played by Lisa Kudrow, is one of the main characters from the hit television show "Friends".
- "Phoebe Halliwell", played by Alyssa Milano, is one of the main characters from the hit television show "Charmed".
- "Phebe" is the name of a character in William Shakespeare’s play “As You Like It.”
- "Phoebe Snow" is the name of a 1974 album by musician Phoebe Snow.
- Phoebe Cates – Film and television actress who first rose to prominence for her role as Linda Barrett in the high school comedy film “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” from 1982. She also appeared in the movies “Gremlins” and “Drop Dead Fred.”
- Phoebe Snow (Phoebe Ann Laub) – Guitarist, singer and songwriter who is well known for her hit “Poetry Man” from 1975. 
Phoebe Couture, Phoebe Smith, Phoebe Johnson, Phoebe Williams, Phoebe Jones, Phoebe Brown, Phoebe Davis, Phoebe Miller, Phoebe Wilson, Phoebe Moore, Phoebe Taylor, Phoebe Abney, Phoebe Acevedo, Phoebe Aebig, Phoebe Aguilar, Phoebe Ahlgren, Phoebe Akasa, Phoebe Abalos, Phoebe Abat, Phoebe Abbott, Phoebe Abernethy, Phoebe Abotsi, Phoebe Abrahamsen, Phoebe Abrams, Phoebe Abrenilla, Phoebe Abdelsayed, Phoebe Aburto, Phoebe Acker, Phoebe Adaway, Phoebe Ahlen, Phoebe Alden, Phoebe Aberlin, Phoebe Abraham, Phoebe Academia, Phoebe Aceto, Phoebe Acheson, Phoebe Ackley, Phoebe Adams, Phoebe Adamson, Phoebe Adcock, Phoebe Addice, Phoebe Adelson, Phoebe Adkins, Phoebe Adu, Phoebe Aguoru, Phoebe Ahmed, Phoebe Ainsworth, Phoebe Alaras, Phoebe Alberts, Phoebe Abelow, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||bright one, bright, moon, purity, radiance +|
|Meaningnc||bright one, bright, moon, purity, radiance +|
|Rank in 2000s||398 +|
|Related||Febe +, Pheabe +, Phebe +, Pheby +, Phoebey +, and Phoeboe +|