|Meaning:||son of Pedro, burst forth|
|Related Names:||Pedrez, Pedriz, Pedro, Peretz, Periz, Perrez, Peter, Peterson, Petrez, Petriz, Pédrez, Pédriz, Pérez, Périz, Pétrez, Pétriz|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The surname Perez is of Spanish origin and means “son of Pedro.” Pedro is the Spanish equivalent of the name Peter, which means “rock.” Perez may also be a variation of the Sephardic Jewish surname, Peretz. Peretz means “bursting forth,” and was borne by one of Jacob’s grandsons in the Old Testament. In the Sephardic tradition, Perez can be traced back to the 14th century in Spain, to a group of Iberian-born Jews who converted to Christianity.
In Spain, the name Perez may be traced back as far as Visigoth times.
Perez is a very common surname. In the United States, Perez ranked at number 44 on the list of most common surnames. The highest concentration of people with this last name is in California, followed closely by Texas, Florida and New York. Within California, Perez ranks as the 11th most common surname.
In Argentina, Perez is the 7th most common surname, and in France, the 69th.
- Because of the Sephardic history, many people with the name Perez may possibly be Crypto-Jews, that is, people whose families converted to Christianity during the Inquisition, but who kept a secret adherence to Jewish traditions.
- According to Orthodox Hebrew tradition, one of the names of the Messiah is “ben Peretz,” meaning “son of Peretz.”
- There were 47 people with the last name Perez who served on the Confederate side of the Civil War, and 30 people who served on the Union side.
- Perez Hilton: famous blog
- Perez, Quezon, Philippines
- Perez, Santa Fe, Argentina
- Rosie Perez: actress (born 1964)
- Juan Beneyto Perez: writer
- Danilo Perez: pianist and composer (Panama)
- George Perez: comic book artist (born June 9, 1954)
- Fabian Perez: artist
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||son of Pedro, burst forth +|
|Meaningnc||son of pedro, burst forth +|
|Origin||Spanish +, Hebrew +, and Jewish +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Pedrez +, Pedriz +, Pedro +, Peretz +, Periz +, Perrez +, Peter +, Peterson +, Petrez +, Petriz +, Pédrez +, Pédriz +, Pérez +, Périz +, Pétrez +, and Pétriz +|