|Meaning:||servant, follower of Paul|
|Related Names:||Heilyn, Palian, Palling, Pauley, Paulley, Paulye, Pawley|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The origin of the surname Palin is most likely Welsh or English. In Welsh, it may have derived from the name ap Heilyn, a patronymic meaning "son of Heilyn." Heilyn derives from a Welsh word that means "to serve," specifically, to serve as a waiter or waitress. This name may simply be a patronymic, or it could have originally been an occupational surname.
Palin may also be a regional surname, originally given to those who lived in an area with a similar name. Possible roots for this name then, are Palling in Norfolk, England, Poling in Sussex, England, or Pavilly, Normandy. The two English locations were named for a personal name, such as Pal (a variation of Paul) and the suffix -ingas, meaning "follower of."
According to WhitePages.com, Palin is a very uncommon name in the United States. It ranked at number 26,225 on the list of common U.S. surnames. The highest concentration of people with the last name Palin is in Montana, followed by Florida, California and Washington.
According to the Census Records, back in 1920, the concentration of Palins was highest in New York and Minnesota.
In the late 19th century, most people with the name Palin in the UK were to be found in the area of Cheshire. Other surrounding provinces, such as Straffordshire, Shropshire and Lancashire also had a number of Palin families.
- A large percentage of immigrants with the surname Palin came to the United States from Sweden. Others came from Germany, England and Norway.
- There were 14 people with the surname Palin who served in the U.S. Civil War: 10 on the Union side and 4 on the Confederate side.
- Actor Michael Palin was one of the members of the famed British comedy group Monty Python. The other members were John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam.
- Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's long-term nickname is "Sarah Barracuda."
- The names of Sarah Palin's children:
- Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure
- Palin's Travels: site about Michael Palin's world travels
- Governor Sarah Palin: official Alaska Website
- Brett Palin: hockey player, Quad City Flames (born June 23, 1984)
- Bristol Palin: daughter of politician Sarah Palin (born 1990)
- Leigh Palin: soccer player (born September 12, 1965)
- Leo Palin: tennis player (born October 20, 1956)
- Michael Palin: actor, comedian (born May 5, 1943)
- Sarah Palin: Governor of Alaska, 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee (born February 11, 1964)
- Todd Palin: husband of politician Sarah Palin, and snowmobile racer (born September 1964)
- Tom Palin: painter (born 1974)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||servant, follower of Paul +|
|Meaningnc||servant, follower of paul +|
|Origin||Welsh +, and English +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Heilyn +, Palian +, Palling +, Pauley +, Paulley +, Paulye +, and Pawley +|