|Pronunciation:||OS-kahr, OSS-ker, OZ-kar, OS-ker, AHS-kur|
|Meaning:||lover of deer, beloved of deer, divine spear, God’s spear, jumping fighter, accurate spearsman|
|Related Names:||Oscar, Oscer, Oskar, Osker, Ossie, Ozzy|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Oscar is derived from the Old English “Osgar” meaning “spear of God,” which is a combination of “os” meaning “a God” and “gar” meaning “spear.” Additionally, in Ireland, Oscar meaning “friend of deer” derived from the Gaelic “os” meanig “a deer” and “cara” meaning “friend.” In Gaelic, it also means “champion” or “warrior.” Oscar is also an Irish mythological name belonging to the warrior son of Oisin.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Oscar ranked as the 151st most popular male first name, the 4,120th most popular female first name and the 13,443rd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names every decade since 1880.
United States Popularity of the boy's name Oscar in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:118th
- Year: 2005 Rank:116th
- Year: 2004 Rank:123rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:121st
- Year: 2002 Rank:117th
- Year: 2001 Rank:117th
- Year: 2000 Rank:123rd
In 2007, the popularity of the boy’s name Oscar ranked 37th in Australia, 18th in Denmark and 4th in Sweden. In Sweden, the name has ranked in the Top 25 most popular boys' names each year in the 21st century, through 2007.
Sweden Popularity of the boy's name Oscar in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2007 Rank:4th
- Year: 2006 Rank:16th
- Year: 2005 Rank:16th
- Year: 2004 Rank:18th
- Year: 2003 Rank:22nd
- Year: 2002 Rank:14th
- Year: 2001 Rank:16th
- Year: 2000 Rank:18th
- February 3rd is celebrated in France in honor of the name Oscar.
- "Oscar” is the name given to the Academy Awards doled out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on a yearly basis.
- "Oscar the Grouch” is a green creature, who lives in a trash can, in the children’s show “Sesame Street.”
- "OSCAR" is an acronym for "Orbital Satellite Carrying Amateur Radio" and for "Online System for Court Attendance Reservations" in the Canadian judicial system.
- Oskar Schindler – Liberator of Jews during World War II whose story was immortalized in the movie, “Schindler’s List.”
- Oscar Arias Sanchez - President of Costa Rica and Nobel Prize Winner for Peace in 1987.
- Oscar McKinley Charleston - Hall of Fame baseball player.
- Oscar Hammerstein Ii – American theatrical writer, director and producer.
- Oscar Robertson - Hall of Fame basketball player.
- Oscar Alfredo Ruggeri – Hall of Fame soccer player (defender) nicknamed "El Cabezón."
- Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde – Irish playwright, poet, novel and short story writer.
- Oscar de la Renta – Fasion designer.
- Oscar Zeta Acosta – Attorney and activist most notably recognized as “Dr. Gonzo” in the book “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” by Hunter S. Thompson.
Oscar Smith, Oscar Johnson, Oscar Williams, Oscar Jones, Oscar Brown, Oscar Davis, Oscar Miller, Oscar Wilson, Oscar Moore, Oscar Taylor, Oscar Aban, Oscar Abdon, Oscar Abejo, Oscar Abel, Oscar Abela, Oscar Abella, Oscar Abello, Oscar Abeyta, Oscar Ablanedo, Oscar Able, Oscar Abner, Oscar Abolafia, Oscar Abraham, Oscar Abrahams, Oscar Rafael, Oscar Aarts, Oscar Aase, Oscar Aavedra, Oscar Abad, Oscar Abadia, Oscar Abadillo, Oscar Abagwe, Oscar Abalahin, Oscar Abalos, Oscar Abanto, Oscar Abarca, Oscar Abarza, Oscar Abaunza, Oscar Abaya, Oscar Abbott, Oscar Abdo, Oscar Abe, Oscar Abelido, Oscar Abelleira, Oscar Abenojar, Oscar Aberg, Oscar Aberle, Oscar Abila, Oscar Abilez, Oscar Ablay, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||lover of deer, beloved of deer, divine spear, God’s spear, jumping fighter, accurate spearsman +|
|Meaningnc||lover of deer, beloved of deer, divine spear, god’s spear, jumping fighter, accurate spearsman +|
|Origin||English +, and Gaelic +|
|Pronunciation||OS-kahr, OSS-ker, OZ-kar, OS-ker, AHS-kur +|
|Rank in 2000s||119 +|
|Related||Oscar +, Oscer +, Oskar +, Osker +, Ossie +, and Ozzy +|