|Pronunciation:||no-EL, no-UL, NOWL|
|Related Names:||Nata, Natal, Natale, Natalie, Noela, Noele, Noeleen, Noelene, Noeline, Noeliz, Noell, Noella, Noelle, Noelleen, Noellyn, Noelyn, Noelynn, Novelia, Nowel, Noweleen, Nowell, Noëlle|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Noel, sometimes spelled with a diaresis over the "e," Noël, is a French name that means "Christmas." The name was first used in the Middle Ages, given only to children who were born on Christmas day.
In the United States, Noel is a moderately popular boy's name. It was most popular in the 1930s, when it ranked in the top 300 boys' names, reaching as high as number 266 in 1938. It has kept steadily in the top 500 since then, and in 2007, Noel ranked as the 443rd most popular boy's name in the United States.
As a girl's name in the United States, Noel has seen a bit less popularity, probably due to usage of the preferred feminine spelling, Noelle. Noel first appeared on the girl's top 1000 chart in the 1930s, but dropped off again between 1956 and 1964. It had a peak popularity at 607 in 1967, but has mostly stayed in the 800s since then. In 2007, Noel ranked as the 870th most popular girl's name in the United States.
Popularity of the boy's name Noel in Sweden is high, and has been rising in recent years. In the year 2000, Noel ranked as the 123rd most popular boy's name, but by 2007, it had risen all the way to the rank of 44th.
Noel is a top 100 boy's name in Hungary, ranking 65th in 2005.
Noel is also a top 200 boy's name in Catalonia and a top 500 boy's name in Canada. In Australia, it sits a bit lower, with the last recorded ranking of 558th in 2002.
According to WhitePages.com, Noel is the 1106th most common surname in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the last name Noel is in Florida, followed by Pennsylvania, New York and California.
- A traditional Christmas Carol may sometimes be referred to as a "Noel."
- Noel: 2004 film
- The First Noel: a Christmas Carol
- Noel, Missouri
- Noel Blanc: son of voice actor Mel Blanc
- Noel Clarke: actor (born December 6, 1975)
- Noel Coward: playwright (born 1899)
- Noel Ellis: football player
- Noel Ferrier: actor, producer (born 1930)
- Noel Gallagher: musician, band Oasis (born May 29, 1967)
- Noël Godin: Belgian writer (born September 13, 1945)
- Noel Harrison: actor (born January 29, 1934)
- Noel Prefontaine: football player (born December 23, 1973)
- Noel "Paul" Stookey: musician Paul of the trio Peter, Paul & Mary (December 30, 1937-)
- Ashley Noel Campbell, child of musician Glen Campbell
- David "Noel" Redding: musician, band The Jimi Hendrix Experience (December 25, 1945)
- Sonnet Noel Whitaker: daughter of actor Forest Whitaker
- Alyson Noel: author
- Francine Noel: writer
- Nancy Noël: painter
- Paul Noel: basketball player (born August 4, 1924)
- Monique Noel: model (born April 28, 1967)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Pronunciation||no-EL, no-UL, NOWL +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Nata +, Natal +, Natale +, Natalie +, Noela +, Noele +, Noeleen +, Noelene +, Noeline +, Noeliz +, Noell +, Noella +, Noelle +, Noelleen +, Noellyn +, Noelyn +, Noelynn +, Novelia +, Nowel +, Noweleen +, Nowell +, and Noëlle +|