|Pronunciation:||mont GOM er ee, mont GUM ree|
|Meaning:||Mont means the mountain, Gomery was the name of the son of Japhet, the hereditary name of the Gauls|
|Related Names:||Mont Gommeri, Montagew, Montague, Montgomerie, Monty, Mundegumerie|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name began as a place name meaning “hill on top of which Gomeric lives.” Gomeric, in turn, means powerful man. The hill was in an area of France called Calvados in Normandy. Calvados takes its name from a cluster of rocks off the coast.  Gomeric, a 9th century Viking, traveled south into France, eventually building the house on top of the hill.  Vikings, members of the Norse or Scandinavian people, raided and colonized wide areas of Europe from the late 900s to the early 1200s. Gomeric’s ancestors then took it as their surname and is still very popular as one. It is less popular as a male first name and even less so as a female name. Spelling variations included "Mont Gommeri" and "Mundegumerie.”  Gomer, the son of Japhet, the hereditary name of the Gauls.
The name was originally a surname and is still very popular as one. It is less popular as a male first name and even less so as a female name. During the past 100 years, the name only cracked the top 1000 most popular names. Those were the years from 1960 until 1968 except 1966 when it did not break the top 1000. It was the given name of the most people in the Social Security Administration’s database in 1964. That is likely attributed to American actor Montgomery Clift who received his first Academy Award nomination for The Search in 1948.
- 1968 950
- 1967 992
- 1966 N/A
- 1965 984
- 1964 895
- 1963 977
- 1962 936
- 1961 985
- 1960 978
- Montgomery Clift, American actor who lived from 1920 to 1966, was a direct descendant of Montgomery Blair, U.S. Postmaster General under President Abraham Lincoln.
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Montgomery County, Maryland
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia to the north west called 'Montco' for short.
- Montgomery Ward department store founded in 1872, by Aaron Montgomery Ward who established the first mail-order business with an innovative single-sheet catalog offering 163 items.
- Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail follows the route in Alabama that civil rights leaders walked in March 1965 to protest blacks inability to vote. The first time the activists tried to march from Selma to Alabama, they were beaten back by police and civilians with clubs and tear gas. The second time they were led by the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and stopped symbolically at the bridge. For the third march, a judge gave the marchers civil protection and they marched all the way to Selma. 
- Montgomery Clift, American film actor, October 17, 1920–July 23, 1966
- Elizabeth Montgomery, American television actress best known for playing Samantha Stevens on Bewitched also Lizzie Borden in a TV movie, April 15, 1933 – May 18, 1995
- Robert Montgomery, American film actor, May 21, 1904 – September 27, 1981, father of Elizabeth Montgomery
Montgomery Scott, Montgomery Abbott, Montgomery Adams, Montgomery Adolph, Montgomery Ainsworth, Montgomery Alford, Montgomery Allen, Montgomery Alsip, Montgomery Amos, Montgomery Anthony, Montgomery Antoine, Montgomery Arnett, Montgomery Arnold, Montgomery Atkins, Montgomery Auch, Montgomery Augustin, Montgomery Avila, Montgomery Aylward, Montgomery Badziong, Montgomery Ballard, Montgomery Banister, Montgomery Barb, Montgomery Barnes, Montgomery Aaron, Montgomery Addison, Montgomery Adkisson, Montgomery Akers, Montgomery Alabama, Montgomery Barham, Montgomery Aldrich, Montgomery Barbara, Montgomery Barnard, Montgomery Aitken, Montgomery Alexander, Montgomery Alston, Montgomery Altermann, Montgomery Anderson, Montgomery Andrews, Montgomery Angley, Montgomery Austin, Montgomery Ball, Montgomery Barber, Montgomery Bard, Montgomery Bagwill, Montgomery Baker, Montgomery Clift, More results
Author: Kelly Campbell
|Meaning||Mont means the mountain, Gomery was the name of the son of Japhet, the hereditary name of the Gauls +|
|Meaningnc||mont means the mountain, gomery was the name of the son of japhet, the hereditary name of the gauls +|
|Pronunciation||mont GOM er ee, mont GUM ree +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Mont Gommeri +, Montagew +, Montague +, Montgomerie +, Monty +, and Mundegumerie +|