|Related Names:||Montanna, Montano, Monteene, Montina|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Montana comes from the Latin montanus or montaanus and means "mountainous."  Modern usage may refer to the American state called Montana, a mountainous northern state bordering Idaho, Wyoming and the Dakotas.
As a surname, Montana is of Spanish origin, and was most likely originally given to those who lived in a mountainous region. The surname may also be of Italian origin, as a variation of Montano. The origin is the same, but it may refer specifically to the place in Italy called Montano Antilia.
In the United States, the name Montana first appeared on the list of top 1000 most popular names for baby girls in the year 1993. It rose as high as number 510 on the chart in 1998, but then sank to the lower ranks of the top 1000. In 2007, Montana was the 943rd most popular choice for baby girls.
As a boy's name, Montana first appeared on the top 1000 chart in 1993. It only rose as high as 771 in 1995 before quickly dropping in popularity. It has not appeared on the top 1000 chart since the year 1999.
Montana is a popular girl's name in Australia. It ranked highest in 2002, when Montana was the 110th most popular name for baby girls.
Montana is also used as a boy's name in Australia. In the year 2000, it was the 548th most popular name for baby boys in Australia.
Montana is a popular girl's name in Canada. It ranked highest in 1998, when it was the 198th most popular girl's name in Canada. In 2005, Montana ranked at number 383.
- The state of Montana is known by the following nicknames:
- The Treasure State
- The Mountain State
- Big Sky Country
- The Bonanza State
- Land of Shining Mountains
- The Stubtoe State
- The Headwaters State
- The famous Scarface character Tony Montana owes his surname to football legend Joe Montana. Director Oliver Stone chose the name because at the time, Joe Montana was his favorite football player.
- Montana, United States
- Montana, Bulgaria
- Montana, Wisconsin, United States
- Montana City, Montana, United States
- Montana, Switzerland
- Hannah Montana: from Disney channel show of the name name, portrayed by Miley Cyrus
- Tony Montana: character from the film Scarface, portrayed by Al Pacino
- Montana Jones: character from Japanese anime series of the same name
- Montana Paint
- Montana: 1998 film starring Kyra Sedgwick
- Merendera montana: flower native to Portugal
- Montana Slim (stage name): country singer (born 1904)
- Montana Taylor (stage name): musician (born 1903)
- Bob Montana: cartoonist (born October 23, 1920)
- Claude Montana: fashion designer
- Joe Montana: football player (born June 11, 1956)
- Deni Montana: daughter of actor Woody Harrelson (born February 28, 1993)
- Karla Montana: actress
- Patsy Montana: country singer (born October 30, 1908)
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||Mountain, Mountainous +|
|Meaningnc||mountain, mountainous +|
|Origin||Latin +, Spanish +, and Italian +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Montanna +, Montano +, Monteene +, and Montina +|