|Pronunciation:||MEE-nah, MI-na, ME-na|
|Meaning:||knife, love, smooth, small, fish, resolute protector, a pet name|
|Related Names:||Calumina, Meena, Mena, Min, Minette, Minna, Minnette, Minnie, Normina, Wilhelmina|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Mina derives as a short form of various names containing “mina” or “mine,” such as the German “Wilhelmina” meaning “resolute protector” – a feminine variant of Wilhelm. It is a combination of “willeo” meaning “will,” “desire” or “resolution” and “helm” meaning “helmet” or “protection.” Mina is also a Highland short version for the Scottish “Calumina” and “Normina.” To the Native American Dakota or Lakota, Mina means “knife.” In German, the name means “love.” Irish Gaelic forms of Mina are “Min” and “Meena” meaning “smooth,” “fine” or “small.” In Sanskrit, the name means “fish.”
In the 3rd and 4th centuries, Saint Mina was an Egyptian martyr who was known for many miracles. He is the patron saint of the falsely accused, peddlers and traveling merchants.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Mina ranked as the 1,029th most popular female first name and the 17,232nd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names from the 1880s through the early 1940s at which time it fell out of Top 1,000 most popular girls' names until 2002.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names each year from 2004 (886th) through 2006 (995th), as well as 2002.
United States Popularity of the girl's name Mina in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:995th
- Year: 2005 Rank:898th
- Year: 2004 Rank:886th
- Year: 2003 Rank:DNR
- Year: 2002 Rank:948th
DNR – Did Not Rank in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names.
- “Mina” is a name bestowed upon locations in New York and Nevada, USA.
- “Myna” is a type of bird in the starling family.
- “MINA” is an acronym for the Java framework “Multipurpose Infrastructure for Network Applications.”
- Lithuania, Poland and the Ukraine celebrate days in honor of the name Mina.
- “Wilhelmina “Mina” Harker” is the name of a main character in the story “Dracula” written by Bram Stoker in 1897.
- “Mina” is the name of a Japanese fashion magazine.
- “Mina Mongoose” (aka Songoose) is a fictional young, female mongoose in the “Sonic the Hedgehog” comics.
- Mena Adrienne Suvari – Film and television actress who won a Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Theatrical Motion Picture” for her work in the 1999 movie “American Beauty.”
- Mina Anna Mazzini – Italian pop singer who is simply known as “Mina.”
- Denise Mina – Scottish author of novels, plays and comics, especially crime fiction.
Mina Smith, Mina Johnson, Mina Williams, Mina Jones, Mina Brown, Mina Davis, Mina Miller, Mina Wilson, Mina Moore, Mina Taylor, Mina Aala, Mina Abdellaoui, Mina Abdollahi, Mina Abdomerovic, Mina Abdulla, Mina Abouseif, Mina Accornero, Mina Acquaye, Mina Adel, Mina Adhuria, Mina Aazami, Mina Abadir, Mina Abdalla, Mina Abshire, Mina Acevedo, Mina Almosami, Mina Amirzai, Mina Ababio, Mina Ade, Mina Abdel, Mina Abdelaziz, Mina Adamovich, Mina Adams, Mina Adhikari, Mina Aldbrecht, Mina Aalam, Mina Abadie, Mina Abalos, Mina Abbasi, Mina Abbey, Mina Abbott, Mina Abdelmalek, Mina Abdelnour, Mina Abdelshahed, Mina Abdi, Mina Abdo, Mina Abdou, Mina Abdussabur, Mina Abeskharoun, Mina Abhari, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||knife, love, smooth, small, fish, resolute protector, a pet name +|
|Meaningnc||knife, love, smooth, small, fish, resolute protector, a pet name +|
|Origin||German +, Gaelic +, Scottish +, and Sanskrit +|
|Pronunciation||MEE-nah, MI-na, ME-na +|
|Rank in 2000s||963 +|
|Related||Calumina +, Meena +, Mena +, Min +, Minette +, Minna +, Minnette +, Minnie +, Normina +, and Wilhelmina +|