|Meaning:||gift from God; who is like God|
|Related Names:||Mical, Michael, Michal, Miha, Mihael, Mihai, Mihail, Mihailo, Mihails, Mihal, Mihale, Mihali, Mihalo, Mihhaelo, Mikhail, Mishal|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Mihaly is of Hebrew origin and most commonly used in Hungarian speaking countries, as it is a Hungarian form of Michael, derived from the Hebrew mlkhael.
In Hungary in 1453, Mihaly was the 9th most popular name, occurring in 3.61% of the population. In 1522, Mihaly was the 4th most popular name, occurring in 5.23% of the population. In 1554, Mihaly was the 4th most popular name, occurring in 5.90% of the population. In 1574, Mihaly was the 3rd most popular name, occurring in 5.79% of the population.
In the cabala, Mihael is an angel of conjugal fidelity and fertility. In Muslim lore, Mihail is an angel who leads a group of angels in worshipping Allah.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Mihaly ranks as the 33,236rd most popular last name.
Of the 44,052 people arriving in New York from Austria, Poland and Galicia in 1890, the name Mihaly was the 13th most frequent, occurring among 379 people.
- May 8th and September 29th are both days that Hungarians celebrate the name Mihaly.
- Although Mihaly is generally a rare name in the United States, the name is relatively common in Hollywood.
- "Mihaly International Corporation" is a direct marketing, consulting company, named for the President Stacey Mihaly.
- Mihály Kertész - Film director who won the Academy Award (Oscar) for Directing "Casablanca" in 1942.
- Mihály Munkácsy - Hungarian painter who is well known for his large scale biblical paintings and genre works. He was born Michael von Lieb. He painted "Christ before Pilate" (Pontius Pilate) in 1881.
- Mihály Zichy - Hungarian painter, draughtsman and printmaker in the 19th century.
- Mihály Lantos - Hungarian football player (defender) and manager. He played for the MTK Hungária FC and was a member of the legendary "Mighty Magyars" Hungarian team.
- Mihály Csíkszentmihályi - Psychologist, sociologist and anthropologist noted for his work in relation to happiness, creativity and the subjective well-being. He is an author who is the former head of the University of Chicago Psychology Department. His most notable work was "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience."
- Mihály Vörösmarty - Hungarian poet during the 19th century who became reknowned when he published "The Flight of Zalán" in 1825.
- Mihály Vig - Composer, actor and writer.
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||gift from God; who is like God +|
|Meaningnc||gift from god; who is like god +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Mical +, Michael +, Michal +, Miha +, Mihael +, Mihai +, Mihail +, Mihailo +, Mihails +, Mihal +, Mihale +, Mihali +, Mihalo +, Mihhaelo +, Mikhail +, and Mishal +|