|Meaning:||Who is comparable to God?|
|Related Names:||Michael, Michaela, Miche, Mitchell|
ORIGIN & HISTORY
Michele is the French variant of Michelle, the feminine form of Michael (Michel). Michele first achieved notoriety in France. English speakers eventually adopted the name in the 1940s. The Anglicized version of the name became Michelle.
Michelle has had several popularity surges. The name enjoyed the most popularity between 1950 and 1980. In 1960, Michelle ranked 20th as the most popular girls name.
The strongest surge began in 1964, when The Beatles released "Michelle." The name rose quickly to 5th, followed by a long spotlight in the number 1 position.
French actress Michle Girardon (b. August 9, 1938) helped popularize the name. Michelle suffered a strong decline after 1980. Today, the name has long passed its peak and remains at the bottom 100 names for baby girls.
In the mid 1960s, Paul McCartney was most intrigued with French culture which was very en vogue at the time. He wrote a song dedicated to the French which he later called Michelle. A French teacher friend provided translations and rhyming words like Michelle, ma belle. McCartney completed the lyrics, which he sang in both English and French. John Lennon contributed the phrase "I Love You" which is heard repeatedly throughout the ballad. Michelle was the Grammy winning Song Of The Year in 1966. Singer/songwriter Terry Jacks 1974 hit was "Seasons in the Sun." A chorus included the words "Goodbye, Michelle, my little one. You gave me love and helped me find the sun."
- Michelle's Baguette, deli, Toronto Canada.
- Michelle, clothing line designed by Michelle Smith.
- Michelle.K footwear.
- Hurricane Michelle, a tropical cyclone (2001).
- "A Gift Called Michelle" by Barbara Desrochers, nonfiction.
- "Michelle in: Crabbit Comes To Stay" by Julie Hegarty, juvenile fiction.
- "Michelle The Rock Concert" by Julie Hegarty, juvenile fiction.
- "Michelle" by Carlyn Belsky, paperback fiction.
- FAMOUS PERSONS:
- Michelle Bachelet, b. September 29, 1951, President of Chile.
- Michelle Branch, b. July 2, 1984, Grammy award singer and songwriter.
- Michelle Kwan, b. July 7, 1980, Former Olympic figure skater, nicknamed Shelly.
- Michelle Lee, b. June 24, 1942, Actress, best known as Karen on "Knots Landing" and Disney's "The Love Bug"
- Michelle Madison, b. June 16, 1971, Actress and model, uses the stage name Madison Michele.
- Michelle Monaghan, b March 23, 1976, Actress, starred in Seven Day Itch with Ben Stiller.
- Michelle Obama, b. January 17, 1964, Lawyer, and wife of presidential candidate Barack Obama (D IL).
- Michelle Phillips, b. June 4, 1944, Singer with the pop group The Mamas and the Papas.
- Michelle Rodriguez, b. July 12, 1978, Actress, famous for her feisty roles in "S.W.A.T.", "Resident Evil", "Lost", and "Girlfight".
- Michelle Pfieffer, b. April 29, 1958, Actress, producer and Golden Globe winner. Starred in 50 films, including: Batman Returns, Hairspray, Grease 2, and Married to the Mob.
- Michelle Shocked, b. February 24, 1962, Singer/songwriter and political activist.
- Michelle Trachtenberg, b. October 11, 1985, Actress, starred in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Nickelodean".
- Michelle Wie, b. October 11, 1989, Professional golfer, Stanford University student.
- Michelle Williams, b. September 9, 1980, Actress, known for roles in "Brokeback Mountain" and "Dawson's Creek".
- Michelle Wright, b. 1 July 1962, Canadian country music artist.
- Michelle Yeoh, b. August 6, 1962, Actress, starred in Memoirs of a Geisha.
- Me'Shell, b August 29, 1969, Soul/jazz singer.
Michelle Collins, Michelle Rodriguez, Michelle Smith, Michelle Johnson, Michelle Williams, Michelle Jones, Michelle Brown, Michelle Davis, Michelle Miller, Michelle Wilson, Michelle Moore, Michelle Taylor, Michelle Aab, Michelle Aaberg, Michelle Aabye, Michelle Aafedt, Michelle Aagard, Michelle Aagent, Michelle Aaker, Michelle Aakierkz, Michelle Aaland, Michelle Aalbers, Michelle Aalderks, Michelle Aalsburg, Michelle Aamodt, Michelle Aamold, Michelle Aandahl, Michelle Aarne, Michelle Aarnes, Michelle Aaroen, Michelle Aaron, Michelle Aarona, Michelle Aarons, Michelle Aaronson, Michelle Aars, Michelle Aarvig, Michelle Aas, Michelle Aastrom, Michelle Aavery, Michelle Aavila, Michelle Ababneh, Michelle Abacan, Michelle Abacherli, Michelle Abadia, Michelle Abadie, Michelle Abagiu, Michelle Albaugh, Michelle Alheraiz, Michelle B-h, Michelle B-k, More results
|Meaning||Who is comparable to God? +|
|Meaningnc||who is comparable to god? +|
|Origin||French +, and English +|
|Rank in 2000s||67 +|
|Related||Michael +, Michaela +, Miche +, and Mitchell +|