|Related Names:||Marlin, Marlon, Merl, Merle, Merlen, Merlinn, Merlyn, Merlynn, Merrill, Meryl|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Merlin is a form of the Welsh name Myrddin, which means “sea fortress,” or “of the sea hill.” In Irish it means “from the hill over the sea,” and in French it means “falcon.”
In Arthurian legend, Merlin was known as Myrddin Emrys, which was translated into Latin as Merlin Ambrosius, and then into English as Mervyn, or Merlin. However, this translation is incorrect. Myrddin isn’t a given name; it is in fact, a place name derived from the Welsh seacoast town of Carmarthen. Emrys, which is the given name, is the Welsh version of Ambrose, which means “immortal.” Thus, the true name of the wizard we know as Merlin was probably Ambrose of Carmarthen.
According to the Social Security Administration’s list of top 1000 baby names, Merlin was a popular name in the United States from the late 1800s through the mid 1900s:
- 1890s – 963
- 1900s – 621
- 1910s – 394
- 1920s – 310
- 1930s – 319
- 1940s – 411
- 1950s – 593
- 1960s – 790 
- In numerology, people with the name Merlin tend to be organized, focused, and decisive. They’re successful in business and often amass wealth and power, however they can focus too much on the material and neglect their private lives and relationships.
- According to Kabalarian Philosophy, the name Merlin creates an urge to explore new ideas, but it also causes an unscrupulous materialism. People with this name are very aggressive, have large-scale ideas, and possess an excellent business sense which enables them to achieve the wealth to which they feel entitled. They are seldom satisfied. 
- Characters named Merlin appear in National Comics, Elsewords, Marvel, DC, Atlas, American Comics, Carlsen, and Dell comic books. 
- Merlin was a Celtic god described as a wild man of the woods. It is said that he learned all his magic from the goddess Morgan (aka Viviane, Nimue, Lady of the Lake), and he now lies sleeping in a crystal cave. He presided over: illusion, shape-shifting, herbs, healing, woodlands, Nature, protection, counseling, prophecy, divination, psychic abilities, foreseeing, crystal reading, tarot, magick, rituals, spells, incantations, artisans and smiths. 
- In the Harry Potter series, the Order of Merlin, established by the Merlin of Arthurian legend, is an honor given to wizards who work to protect Muggles and live in harmony with them.
- In the Harry Potter series, “Merlin’s beard!” is an exclamation of surprise and wonder.
- In the United States, travelers can visit:
- Merlin Abyss, AZ
- Merlin, CA
- Merlin Meadows, GA
- Merlin, LA
- Merlin Gut, MD
- Merlin, OR
- Merlin, PA 
- A movie may be in order for a cozy evening at home. Try:
- Merlin, the Magician (1899) – it may be somewhat difficult to find this one.
- The Misadventures of Merlin Jones (1964)
- Merlin the Magic Mouse (1967)
- Merlin (1987)
- Merlin and the Dragons (1991) (TV)
- Merlin of the Crystal Cave (1991) (TV)
- Merlin (1992)
- Young Merlin (1993) (VG)
- Merlin (1998, 2 parts) (TV)
- Merlin: The Return (1999)
- Merlin's Apprentice (2006) (TV) 
- Merlin in the titles of TV series:
- The Boy Merlin (1979)
- Merlin (1980)
- Merlin the Magical Puppy (2001)
- Merlin (2008) 
- For another cozy evening at home, you can watch a movie with a character named Merlin:
- Merlin Olsen (b. Sep. 15, 1940), a professional football player, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982. After his football career, he turned to acting, appearing in several films and repeatedly on TV series, such as Aaron’s Way, Father Murphy, and Little House on the Prairie. 
- Actors named Merlin:
- Merlin Hare (Closed Vision (1953))
- Merlin Barlow (Mountain Charlie (1982))
- Merlin Olsen (Fathers and Sons (1986/I))
- Merlin Bowe (Empire of Ash III (1989))
- Merlin Miller (A Mission to Kill (1992))
- Merlin Marston (Blue Sky (1994))
- Merlin Poppleton (Jailbreakers (1994) (TV))
- Merlin Massara (Nowhere Fast (1997))
- Merlin Katt (Grapes: A Love Story (1999))
- Merlin de Martinis (Avalon: Beyond the Abyss (1999) (TV))
- Merlin Hanbury-Tenison (Proof of Life (2000))
- Merlin Stone (Falling. In Love (2002))
- Merlin Balie (Boy Called Twist (2004))
- Merlin Inza (Dark Shots (2006) (V))
- Merlin Froyd (Crossing Numbers (2007))
- Merlin Huff )Timon's Friendship Adventure (2007)) 
Merlin Smith, Merlin Johnson, Merlin Williams, Merlin Jones, Merlin Brown, Merlin Davis, Merlin Miller, Merlin Wilson, Merlin Moore, Merlin Taylor, Merlin Aalborg, Merlin Abbott, Merlin Abreu, Merlin Abshire, Merlin Acevedo, Merlin Adams, Merlin Adamson, Merlin Aguilar, Merlin Ahola, Merlin Ajith, Merlin Albert, Merlin Alberts, Merlin Alleman, Merlin Allerdings, Merlin Allgood, Merlin Allmon, Merlin Alloway, Merlin Abadie, Merlin Ager, Merlin Alberto, Merlin Allan, Merlin Agresor, Merlin Ahrendsen, Merlin Albrecht, Merlin Alcantara, Merlin Aldredge, Merlin Alexis, Merlin Alinaya, Merlin Allen, Merlin Ackley, Merlin Adair, Merlin Adkins, Merlin Afallan, Merlin Ahrens, Merlin Alexander, Merlin Alldredge, Merlin Allie, Merlin Allred, Merlin Abel, Merlin Abler, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Merlin." Behind the Name. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/merlin>.
Elick, L. Merchant. "The Gods and Goddesses of the Celtic Lands ." The Gods and Goddesses of the World . 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.scns.com/earthen/other/seanachaidh/godcelt.html>.
Gruber, Brian & Rachel. "The meaning of Merlin." BirthVillage.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.birthvillage.com/meaning/Merlin>.
Harper, Douglas. Online Etymology Dictionary. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=merlin&searchmode=none>.
"17 results for merlin." Place Names.com. Buttle and Tuttle Ltd. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.placenames.com>.
"Baby Name Merlin." Baby Names Magic. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamesmagic.com/m-boy/baby-boy-names-merlin.html>.
"Baby names - the name Merlin." YeahBaby.com. YeahBaby.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-name.php?name=Merlin>.
"Irish, Scottish & Welsh." Celtic Attic. Celtic Attic. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.celticattic.com/tips_hints/goddess_gods/irish.htm>.
"Meaning and origin of Merlin." Birthcare. Birthcare, LLC. . 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/M/ArthurianLegend/meaning.asp?name=Merlin>.
"Media of Merlin." IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=char&q=Merlin&x=11&y=12>.
"Merlin." BabyNameFacts.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamefacts.com/babynames/summary.php?name=Merlin>.
"Merlin." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/merlin>.
"Merlin - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?s=merlin&g=1&t=1>.
"Merlin Olsen ." databaseSports.com. databaseSports.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=OLSENMER01>.
"MERLIN OLSEN." Pro Football Hall of Fame. Pro Football Hall of Fame . 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=168>.
"Popular Baby Names." Social Security Online. Social Security Administration. 9 Jun 2008 <http://ssa.gov/OACT/babynames>.
"Your First Name of: Merlin." Kabalarian Philosophy. Society of Kabalarians of Canada & Kabalarian Philosophy. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=nm&q=Merlin&x=18&y=10>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=Merlin>.
|Meaning||sea fortress +|
|Meaningnc||"sea fortress" +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Marlin +, Marlon +, Merl +, Merle +, Merlen +, Merlinn +, Merlyn +, Merlynn +, Merrill +, and Meryl +|