|Pronunciation:||MEH-gan, MEG-an, MEE-gan, MAY-gan, MEG-un|
|Meaning:||pearl, little pearl|
|Related Names:||Maegan, Margaret, Maygan, Meagan, Meaghan, Meeghan, Meg, Megen, Meggan, Meggi, Meggie, Meggy, Meghan, Meghann, Meghanne, Meighan, Peg|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Megan originates as a borrowing from the Welsh as a pet form of “Marged” or “Margaret,” which stems from the Greek “margaron” meaning “pearl.” Henceforth, Megan has become associated with “little pearl.”
Saint Margaret was the patron saint of expectant mothers. She was martyred in the 4th century.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Megan ranked as the 151st most popular female first name and the 42,875th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names six decades since 1880, including each of the last six decades. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 100 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (18th) through 2006 (60th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Megan in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:60th
- Year: 2005 Rank:40th
- Year: 2004 Rank:36th
- Year: 2003 Rank:30th
- Year: 2002 Rank:22nd
- Year: 2001 Rank:20th
- Year: 2000 Rank:18th
In 2007, the popularity of the girl’s name Megan ranked 17th in England/Wales and 2nd in Wales.
- “Megan's Law” is a law in the United States, which forces law enforcement authorities to notify the public when sex offenders move into a community. It is named for Megan Kanka, who was a rape and murder victim of a sex offender.
- “Renault Mégane” is the name of a small, French, family car, produced by automaker Renault.
- “Megan Reeves,” played by Diane Farr, is a character in the television drama “Numb3rs.”
- “Megan Wheeler,” played by Julianne Nicholson, was a fictional detective on the television drama “Law and Order.”
- Megan Fox – Television and film actress who was nominated for three Teen Choice Awards for her work in the 2007 movie Transformers.
- Megan Mullaly – Film and television awards who won two primetime Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series” in 2000 and 2006 for her work the comedic show “Will and Grace.” She was also nominated for five other Emmy Awards for acting in “Will and Grace.”
- Katherine Megan McArthur – NASA astronaut and oceanographer.
- Megan Monroe – Miss Montana, USA, in 2003.
- Megan Ward – Film and television actress who plays “Kate Howard” on the soap opera “General Hospital.”
Megan Bowes, Megan Aadland, Megan Aageson, Megan Aalberts, Megan Aardema, Megan Aarhus, Megan Aaron, Megan Aaseth, Megan Abajian, Megan Abbas, Megan Abbatiello, Megan Abbett, Megan Abboud, Megan Abel, Megan Abel-cate, Megan Abelard, Megan Abele, Megan Abell, Megan Abercrombie, Megan Aberl, Megan Abernathy, Megan Ahed, Megan Aakjar, Megan Aanonsen, Megan Aanstoos, Megan Aarons, Megan Aarsvold, Megan Aasland, Megan Abate, Megan Abbate, Megan Abbey, Megan Abdallah, Megan Abegglen, Megan Abeln, Megan Abens, Megan Aber, Megan Abicht, Megan Apperson, Megan Aalbers, Megan Abasovski, Megan Aaberg, Megan Abady, Megan Abbot, Megan Abbott, Megan Abbotts, Megan Abby, Megan Abdalla, Megan Abdin, Megan Abdon, Megan Abe, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||pearl, little pearl +|
|Meaningnc||pearl, little pearl +|
|Origin||Greek +, and Welsh +|
|Pronunciation||MEH-gan, MEG-an, MEE-gan, MAY-gan, MEG-un +|
|Rank in 2000s||32 +|
|Related||Maegan +, Margaret +, Maygan +, Meagan +, Meaghan +, Meeghan +, Meg +, Megen +, Meggan +, Meggi +, Meggie +, Meggy +, Meghan +, Meghann +, Meghanne +, Meighan +, and Peg +|