|Pronunciation:||MAKS-well, MAX-wel, MAHKS-well, MACKS-well|
|Meaning:||stream of Maccus, spring of Maccus, capable, great|
|Related Names:||Mac, Mack, Magnus, Max, Maxamillian, Maxwelle, -well|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new or if you don't give a hoot and just like the sound of it, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Maxwell originated as a Scottish surname deriving from a location name on the Tweed River. Maxwell was a combination of “Maccus” meaning “great” and the Old English “wielh” meaning “spring” or “pool” or “wella” meaning “stream.” Hence, the surname Maxwell was utilized for people who resided at Maccus’ spring or stream.
Maccus was a Saxon lord, according to Scottish tradition, who acquired a salmon pool on the Tweed River. His descendants, who inherited the land, were the first to utilize a variation of the name Maxwell – de Maccuswel – and later became known as the Maxwell family of Dumfriesshire and Galloway.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Maxwell ranked as the 695th most popular male first name and the 404th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names every decade since 1880. In the 21st century, Maxwell has ranked in the Top 150 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (113th) through 2006 (149th).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Maxwell in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:149th
- Year: 2005 Rank:140th
- Year: 2004 Rank:136th
- Year: 2003 Rank:132nd
- Year: 2002 Rank:130th
- Year: 2001 Rank:126th
- Year: 2000 Rank:113th
In 2007, the variant Max ranked as the ranked in the Top 30 most popular boys' names in several countries including Australia (26th), New Zealand (24th), Sweden (24th) and the Netherlands (17th). Additionally, in 2007, the name Maxim ranked as the 40th most popular boy’s name in Belgium.
- There are towns bearing the name Maxwell in California, Iowa, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas, USA.
- Maxwell Smart was the main character, who was a secret agent, in the television show Get Smart.
- Maxwell House is a brand of coffee named for the Maxwell House Hotel in Tennessee, USA.
- Maxwell Award is a yearly award presented by the Maxwell Football Club to the American football College Player of the Year.
- Maxwell Air Force Base will be the only US Air Force Base to hold Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps summer field training encampments starting in 2008.
- Maxwell Montes is the name of the highest elevation mountain on the planet Venus.
- Maxwell Street in Chicago, USA, is famous for blues music.
- Mad Max was an action movie starring Mel Gibson, which, at the time, set a profit to cost ratio record.
- James Clerk Maxwell – Mathematician and physicist known for “Maxwell’s equations” in electromagnetism.
- John Maxwell "J.M." Coetzee – South African author who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2003.
- James Maxwell Anderson – Playwright, poet, reporter and lyricist who won the Pulitzer Prize.
Maxwell Smith, Maxwell Johnson, Maxwell Williams, Maxwell Jones, Maxwell Brown, Maxwell Davis, Maxwell Miller, Maxwell Wilson, Maxwell Moore, Maxwell Taylor, Maxwell Abbott, Maxwell Abel, Maxwell Abrams, Maxwell Ackley, Maxwell Ady, Maxwell Agha, Maxwell Agnew, Maxwell Damilola, Maxwell Abbas, Maxwell Abiam, Maxwell Aboagye, Maxwell Addai, Maxwell Adjei, Maxwell Agbottah, Maxwell Agyei, Maxwell Aaron, Maxwell Abernethy, Maxwell Abiye, Maxwell Abousaidi, Maxwell Abramson, Maxwell Acheampong, Maxwell Acquaah, Maxwell Adams, Maxwell Adanuvor, Maxwell Addae, Maxwell Addington, Maxwell Addler, Maxwell Addy, Maxwell Ade, Maxwell Adepoju, Maxwell Adewusi, Maxwell Adkins, Maxwell Adkison, Maxwell Adler, Maxwell Adofo, Maxwell Adu, Maxwell Aforo, Maxwell Afram, Maxwell Agenor, Maxwell Agpaoa, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||stream of Maccus, spring of Maccus, capable, great +|
|Meaningnc||stream of maccus, spring of maccus, capable, great +|
|Pronunciation||MAKS-well, MAX-wel, MAHKS-well, MACKS-well +|
|Rank in 2000s||133 +|
|Related||Mac +, Mack +, Magnus +, Max +, Maxamillian +, Maxwelle +, and -well +|