|Meaning:||Roman god of war, bright red planet|
|Related Names:||Marcel, Marcus, Mariano, Marcia, Marsha, Martin, Martina, Martinez|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Mars was the name attributed to the God of War in Roman mythology. He is depicted as a warrior known for his military accomplishments. According to some legends, Mars was the son of Jupiter and Juno and the father or Romulus and Remus.
In addition to being the God of War, Mars was also attributed godliness in the realms of: agriculture, spring, fertility and death. He is also associated with flight and fear. The wolf and the woodpecker are his sacred animals.
The name Mars receives most of its popularity from Roman mythology. Currently, Mars is a more popular surname, while it is a rare first name. According to the 1990 US Census, Mars is the 6,430th most popular last name.
- The symbol of a sword and spear used to depict the Roman God Mars is also used in biology to depict the male sex.
- The Feriae Marti was celebrated on March 1 in honor of Mars the Roman God.
- The Armilustrium was celebrated on October 19 in honor of Mars the Roman God.
- The month March is named after Mars, the Roman God of War.
- Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun in the Earth's solar system. It is often referred to as The Red Planet.
- Mars is used to refer to colors deriving from an iron oxide base.
- The Mars Effect (attributed to Michel Gauquelin) is a controversial theory correlating the position of the planet, Mars, in the sky at the time people are born with particular skill sets, especially athleticism.
- Mars is a confectioner company specializing in candy, including M&M's and Snickers.
- H.G. Well's War of the Worlds is a popular fictionalized account of a science fiction scenario involving beings from the planet Mars invading Earth.
- "Veronica Mars" is a television drama named for the lead character.
- Mars Attacks! is a 1996 comedy movie directed by Tim Burton.
- "The Red Planet: Mars" is a 1999 documentary about the planet Mars.
- The Martian Chronicles was written by Ray Bradbury.
- "The Mars Volta" is a progressive rock experimental music group.
- "30 Seconds to Mars" is an alternative rock band.
- John Franklyn Mars - Mars candy company Chairman.
- Jacqueline Badger Mars - Mars candy company Vice President.
- Forrest Mars Jr - Mars candy company former CEO.
- Kenneth Mars - Movie and television actor.
- Brian F. Mars - Television editor who won multiple Emmy awards.
- Mars Ravelo - Movie and television actor.
- Anthony Mars - Theatrical writer.
- Rob Mars - Film and television stuntman.
- Mars Callahan - Television actor.
Mars Aban, Mars Abayon, Mars Abdelshahed, Mars Adkins, Mars Afzalov, Mars Alberto, Mars Almond, Mars Anagnou, Mars Anders, Mars Anguiano, Mars Aquino, Mars Ari, Mars Banks, Mars Bar, Mars Bargiel, Mars Barlow, Mars Abraham, Mars Callahan, Mars Ravelo, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||Roman god of war, bright red planet +|
|Meaningnc||roman god of war, bright red planet +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Marcel +, Marcus +, Mariano +, Marcia +, Marsha +, Martin +, Martina +, and Martinez +|