|Meaning:||Queen, calm and peaceful, from Malias|
|Related Names:||Malea, Maleah, Maleia|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names Whatever the origin and meaning of your name, create your own new original and web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muhalo.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
There are several possible origins for the name Malia.
- Malia is often considered a Hawaiian name, and some sources cite the meaning as "calm and peaceful," while others say that it means something to the effect of "probably." Malia is considered the Hawaiian equivalent of the name Mary.
- The name Malia may also be African in origin, coming from a Swahili word that means "Queen." The name is common in Kenya and Tanzania.
Malia may also be a surname. It was originally a regionally surname, given to people who lived in or were from the area called Malia (also Mallia or Malias) in Greece and Southern Italy.
Malia first became a popular name for baby girls in the year 1977, when it appeared low on the top 1000 chart in the United States. It kept to the lower ranks of the charts, even dropping off for a few years, until the mid-1990s, when it began to steadily rise. It broke the top 500 in the year 2000. In 2007, Malia ranked as the 403rd most popular girl's name in the United States.
The name Malia is moderately popular in Canada. It ranked highest as the 420th most popular name for baby girls in 2004. In 2005, it ranked 483rd.
According to WhitePages.com, Malia ranks at number 25,901 on the list of most common surnames in the United States. The highest concentration of people with the last name Malia is in Pennsylvania, followed by Maine, Massachusetts and Florida.
- Senator and presidential nominee Barack Obama's daughter is named Malia. Because of the multiple origins, this name choice represents several aspects of Obama's cultural identity: his name, Barack is Swahili, his father was of Kenyan heritage, and he was born in Hawaii.
- Malia is a genus of birds in Indonesia.
- Malia Mills Swimwear
- Malia in Hawaii: bellydancers
- O'Malia's: food market
- Malia Designs: handbags
- Malia, Crete, Greece
- Malia: British singer
- Malia Hosaka: professional wrestler (born October 7, 1969)
- Malia Jones: model and professional surfer (born March 27, 1977)
- Malia Metella: Olympic athlete (born February 23, 1982)
- Malia Ann Obama: daughter of Barack Obama
- Tina Malia: vocalist
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||Queen, calm and peaceful, from Malias +|
|Meaningnc||queen, calm and peaceful, from malias +|
|Origin||Swahili +, Hawaiian +, and Hebrew +|
|Pronunciation||mah-LEE-ah, MAHL-ya +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Malea +, Maleah +, and Maleia +|