|Pronunciation:||looz, LOOTH, LOOS|
|Meaning:||light, almond tree, hazel tree|
|Related Names:||Lucia, Lucy, Lux, Luzelena, Luzette, Luzia, Luziana|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Luz originates from the Spanish word “luz” meaning “light.” The name is associated with the Virgin Mary, who is often called “Our Lady of Light” or, in Spanish, “Nuestra Sevora de la Luz.” In Armenian, Luz means “moon.” The Hebrews used Luz as a boy’s name meaning “almond tree” or “hazel tree.” The name is used in English, Hebrew and Spanish speaking countries.
In the Bible, the town of Bethel was also referred to as Luz, in ancient times.
In Jewish lore, Luz is a nickname for people born on Arbor Day.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Luz ranked as the 350th most popular female first name and the 15,757th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names every decade since the 1950s. Previously, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names for a good portion of the 1920s.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 700 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (533rd) through 2006 (591st).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Luz in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:591st
- Year: 2005 Rank:600th
- Year: 2004 Rank:602nd
- Year: 2003 Rank:578th
- Year: 2002 Rank:593rd
- Year: 2001 Rank:517th
- Year: 2000 Rank:533rd
- “LUZ” is an acronym for “Larger Urban Zone” used by the European Union’s statistical agency in order to streamline definitions of urbanization. 
- “Luz” is the eponymous title of the 1982 album of Spanish pop singer Luz Casal. “Luz III” (1985) and “Luz V” (1989) are also titles of the third and fifth albums, respectively, of the singer. 
- “Luz,” played by [[Lillian Hurst, is a character that appeared in the television comedy “Arrested Development” in 2003. 
- Luz Casal – Spanish pop singer who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007.
- George Luz – American Army officer who served from 1941 to 1945 and was portrayed by Rick Gomez in the HBO television miniseries “Band of Brothers.” 
- Franc Luz – American film and television actor who appeared as Julian in the romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally... in 1989 and in various hit television shows like “Star Trek: The Next Generation" in 1991, “Matlock" in 1992 and 1993 and “Baywatch" in 1998. 
- Luz Zuluaga – Miss Universe in 1958.
Luz Smith, Luz Johnson, Luz Williams, Luz Jones, Luz Brown, Luz Davis, Luz Miller, Luz Wilson, Luz Moore, Luz Taylor, Luz Abad, Luz Abadia, Luz Abarca, Luz Abatecola, Luz Abatell, Luz Abatelli, Luz Abbate, Luz Abdelaziz, Luz Abon, Luz Abrante, Luz Abrera-crum, Luz Abreu, Luz Abundiz, Luz Camelia, Luz Daisy, Luz Walk, Luz Abalde, Luz Abanes, Luz Aberu, Luz Abila, Luz Abores, Luz Abraham, Luz Abts, Luz Abulkheir, Luz Aburto, Luz Acabeo, Luz Acebo, Luz Acedo, Luz Aljadda, Luz Abalos, Luz Abanto, Luz Abario, Luz Abarquez, Luz Abaya, Luz Abdala, Luz Abel, Luz Abella, Luz Abisia, Luz Abrahams, Luz Abrego, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||light, almond tree, hazel tree +|
|Meaningnc||light, almond tree, hazel tree +|
|Pronunciation||looz, LOOTH, LOOS +|
|Rank in 2000s||586 +|
|Related||Lucia +, Lucy +, Lux +, Luzelena +, Luzette +, Luzia +, and Luziana +|