|Related Names:||Luneth, Lunetta, Lunette, Lunneta|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Luna originates from the Latin word “luna” meaning “the moon.”
In Roman mythology, Luna was the Goddess of the moon. She is equated with Selene, in Greek mythology. Luna can be used as a nickname for any Goddess associated with the moon.
In Astrology, Luna can be used as a nickname for people born during the sign of Cancer, which is ruled by the moon.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Luna ranked as the 2,859th most popular female first name and the 492nd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names from the 1880s through the first decade of the 20th century and never ranked in the Top 1,000 from 1922 to 2002.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 900 most popular girls' names each year from 2003 (890th) through 2006 (516th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Luna in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:516th
- Year: 2005 Rank:592nd
- Year: 2004 Rank:723rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:890th
- “Luna” is a given first name of a child of celebrity Dani Filth. 
- “Luna” is the name of a village in northwestern New Mexico, USA.
- “Luna Lovegood” is the name of a character, who is a Ravenclaw student, in the “Harry Potter” books and films, in which she is portrayed by Evanna Lynch. 
- “Luna,” portrayed by Jill Frappier, is a main character in the late 20th century animated television series “Sailor Moon.” 
- “Luna” is the name of an alternative rock band consisting of members Dean Wareham, Sean Eden, Britta Phillips and Lee Wall. 
- “Luna” is the title of a 1995 short thriller written (collaboratively) and directed by Alejandro Amenábar. 
- “Luna” is the title of a young adult novel written by Julie Anne Peters in 2004, in which a boy named Liam wants to become a girl named Luna. The story is told from the perspective of the boy’s fifteen-year-old sister, Regan. 
- Luna Bergere Leopold – Renowned American geomorphologist and hydrologist who was an advocate of a new system of water management. He received the National Medal of Science in 1991 and the National Academy of Sciences’s Gouverneur Kemble Warren Prize in 1973. 
- Héctor R. Luna – Professional baseball player (primarily an infielder) who has played every position except pitcher and catcher. He currently plays with the Toronto Blue Jays. 
Luna Smith, Luna Johnson, Luna Williams, Luna Jones, Luna Brown, Luna Davis, Luna Miller, Luna Wilson, Luna Moore, Luna Taylor, Luna Acharya, Luna Acuna, Luna Afram, Luna Aguilar, Luna Ahmadi, Luna Aiko, Luna Akers, Luna Albalah, Luna Alberto, Luna Alberto-neira, Luna Alkhafaji, Luna Allor, Luna Alsharaiha, Luna Alston, Luna Altizer, Luna Alva, Luna Amazon, Luna Aaron, Luna Abernathy, Luna Abraham, Luna Adair, Luna Adcock, Luna Afroz, Luna Agard, Luna Ahmad, Luna Ahmed, Luna Ahooja, Luna Alammar, Luna Alexander, Luna Alfonso, Luna Algenio, Luna Allen, Luna Ally, Luna Alvarez, Luna Alvey, Luna Amador, Luna America, Luna Amy, Luna Abou, Luna Agustin, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||the moon +|
|Meaningnc||the moon +|
|Pronunciation||LOO-nah, LU-na +|
|Rank in 2000s||786 +|
|Related||Luneth +, Lunetta +, Lunette +, and Lunneta +|