|Meaning:||profit, wealth, succeed|
|Related Names:||Crecia, Lacretia, Loucrecia, Loucresha, Loucretia, Loucrezia, Lucrecia, Lucreecia, Lucreesha, Lucreisha, Lucresha, Lucrezia|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The origin of the name Lucretia is questionable. Many authorities say it’s unknown; others claim it comes from the Latin lucror and means “profit,” “wealth,” or “succeed,” still more believe it’s of Etruscan origin, but its meaning has been lost.
In Roman legend, Lucretia, the virtuous wife of Lucius Tarquinius Collatinus, was raped by Sextus Tarquinius, who was the son of the king of Rome. After the rape, she sent for her husband and her father, but they were unable to console her, so she committed suicide by stabbing herself in the heart. The resulting scandal resulted in the end of the monarchy.
Saint Lucretia, virgin martyr of Spain, was put to death during the Roman persecutions in the year 306. Her feast day is November 22nd.
The most well-known bearer of the name Lucretia is of course the infamous Lucretia Borgia. However modern historians believe she is unjustly remembered as a ruthless murderer and adulteress largely due to Victor Hugo’s Lercréce Borgia and Gaetano Donizett’s opera Lucrezia Borgia. In his book, Lucretia Borgia, Ferdinand Gregorovius presents an exhaustive collection of original documents and correspondence of her day in which she is portrayed as saintly, charming, gracious, and modest. He concludes that she was just a pawn of her evil and murderous father and brother.
In spite of the infamy associated with the name, Lucretia ranked in the top 1,000 girl names in the United States from 1880 through the mid 1970s
Year and rank:
- 1880 – 200
- 1890 – 550
- 1900 – 630
- 1910 – 741
- 1920 – 754
- 1930 – 743
- 1940 – 694
- 1950 – 828
- 1960 – 806
- 1970 – 871
- 1990 – 1143
- According to the science of numerology, people with the name Lucretia strive to reach high goals; they’re decisive and good with money, and they work for balance between the spiritual and physical worlds.
- Songs named Lucretia:
- “Lucretia MacEvil” by Blood, Sweat & Tears
- “Lucretia My Reflection” by The Sisters of Mercy
- “Lucretia” by Megadeath
- Lucretia Tox is a character in Charles Dickens' novel Dombey and Son.
- Lucretia Prewett is Sirius Black’s aunt in the Harry Potter series.
As one may suspect, many movies have been made about Lucretia Borgia, including:
- Lucrezia Borgia (2002) (TV)
- The Night Show: Lucrezia Borgia Reveals All (1994) (TV mini-series)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1990)
- Le Notti Segrete di Lucrezia Borgia (1982) (The Secret Nights of Lucrezia Borgia —USA)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1980) (TV)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1977) (TV)
- Lucrezia Giovane (1974)
- Lucrezia Borgia, l'amante del diavolo (1968)
- Le Notti di Lucrezia Borgia (1959) (The Nights of Lucretia Borgia – USA)
- Lucrèce Borgia (1953)
- Bride of Vengeance (1949)
- Lucrecia Borgia (1947)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1940)
- Lucrèce Borgia (1935) (Lucrezia Borgia – USA)
- Lucrezia Borgia; Or, Plaything of Power (1923)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1922)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1919)
- The Eternal Sin (1917)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1912)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1910/I)
- Lucrezia Borgia (1910/II)
- Lucrèce Borgia (1909)
- Biography: Lucrezia Borgia: Pretty Poison (????)
- Lucretia Borgia (1480–1519)
- Lucretia Coffin Mott (1793-1880) – American abolitionist and feminist, member of National Women’s Hall of Fame.
- Lucretia Rudolph Garfield (1832-1918) – United States First Lady from March 1881-September 1881.
<http://www.ancestry.com/> <http://www.babynames.com/> < http://www.behindthename.com/> <http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=4338/> <http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=299226&pageno=1/> <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/>
Lucretia Smith, Lucretia Johnson, Lucretia Williams, Lucretia Jones, Lucretia Brown, Lucretia Davis, Lucretia Miller, Lucretia Wilson, Lucretia Moore, Lucretia Taylor, Lucretia Abbamonte, Lucretia Abbey, Lucretia Abbott, Lucretia Abel, Lucretia Abrahams, Lucretia Achane, Lucretia Achary, Lucretia Acquaviva, Lucretia Adair, Lucretia Adkins, Lucretia Agee, Lucretia Agler, Lucretia Agnew, Lucretia Aguilar, Lucretia Aguillard, Lucretia Ahearn, Lucretia Ahrens, Lucretia Aikins, Lucretia Albert, Lucretia Aldridge, Lucretia Aleman, Lucretia Alexander, Lucretia Alleshouse, Lucretia Allinson, Lucretia Abney, Lucretia Abraham, Lucretia Abruzzo, Lucretia Adams, Lucretia Adderley, Lucretia Adson, Lucretia Agostarola, Lucretia Ahnee, Lucretia Ahumada, Lucretia Aiken, Lucretia Akers, Lucretia Akins, Lucretia Albright, Lucretia Albrittian, Lucretia Albulet, Lucretia Aldan, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
|Meaning||profit, wealth, succeed +|
|Meaningnc||profit, wealth, succeed +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Crecia +, Lacretia +, Loucrecia +, Loucresha +, Loucretia +, Loucrezia +, Lucrecia +, Lucreecia +, Lucreesha +, Lucreisha +, Lucresha +, and Lucrezia +|