|Meaning:||son of Lope|
|Related Names:||Lobato, Lobez, Lobo, Lope, Lopes, Lóbez, Wolf|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Lopez means “son of Lope.” The name Lope means wolf, and derives from the Latin “lupus.” Lope is a very rare name in modern times, but it was common during the Medieval era. Lopez comes from Spain and may be traced back to Visigoth times. The Portuguese version is Lopes.
Lopez is one of the most common Spanish surnames. In the United States, Lopez ranks as the 32nd most common surname. The highest concentration of people with the last name Lopez is in California, followed by Texas, Florida, New York and Arizona. Within California, it is the 4th most common surname.
- Lopez may be spelled with an accent over the “o”: López.
- Many of the people with the last name Lopez came to the United States from Spain. Others arrived via Cuba and Mexico.
- There were 95 people with the name Lopez who served on the Confederate side of the Civil War, and 201 who served on the Union side.
- Lopez, Cauca, Colombia
- Lopez, Quezon, Phillipines
- Lopez, Chihuahua, Mexico
- Lopez Island: Washington State
- U.S v. Lopez: famous court case about gun laws
- Jennifer Lopez: actress, vocalist (born July 24, 1969)
- George Lopez: comedian
- Barry Lopez: writer (born 1945)
- Mario Lopez: actor
- Celso Lucio y Lopez: poet and playwright
- José López Portillo y Pacheco: former President of Mexico
- Francisco Solano López: former President of Paraguay
- Gustavo Lopez: Argentine soccer player
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||son of Lope +|
|Meaningnc||son of lope +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Lobato +, Lobez +, Lobo +, Lope +, Lopes +, Lóbez +, and Wolf +|