|Meaning:||son of the tribe of Levi|
|Related Names:||Cohen, Levenson, Levi, Levin, Levine, Levinsen, Levinsohn, Levinsonas, Levy, Livingston|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
As with many surnames that have a “-son” suffix, Levinson means “son of Levi,” from the Hebrew “ben Levin.” However, it did not develop in the same way as names such as Wilson or Jackson, because Levi did not refer to the father’s name— it referred to one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
The tribe of Levi in Jewish tradition was the priestly tribe, whose job it was to perform the holy services and carry the Tabernacle. Levites were said to have a special relationship with God, because they could “channel their strong character” to His service. The “Kohanim,” were also priests, and so names derived from the tribe of Levi are related to names such as Cohen. Descendants of Levi, son of Jacob, are Levites, and descendants of Aaron, brother of Moses, are Kohanim. 
Levinson is ranked at number 4,801 on the list of most common surnames in the United States. Most people with the name Levinson are to be found in New York, followed by California, Florida, and New Jersey. 
- The Levites were a bit different from the other tribes of Israel. For example, a Levite did not have to incur military service, and they received their income from the gifts of others while serving as spiritual advisers.
- Levinson Medical Center for Learning Disabilities
- The Levinson Institute: Leadership seminars
- Levinson Jewlers: Florida Jewelry company
- Barry Levinson: film producer and director, born April 6, 1942.
- Mark Levinson: home theater equipment guru
- Daniel Levinson: Psychologist, founder of the theory of Positive Adult Development.
- Paul Levinson: Fantasy and Science Fiction author
- Robert S. Levinson: author
- Justin Levinson: indie pop singer
- Gerald Levinson: composer
- Max Levinson: pianist
- Isaac Baer Levinsohn: Russian-Hebrew scholar
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||son of the tribe of Levi +|
|Meaningnc||son of the tribe of levi +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Cohen +, Levenson +, Levi +, Levin +, Levine +, Levinsen +, Levinsohn +, Levinsonas +, Levy +, and Livingston +|