|Pronunciation:||LES-lee, LEZ-lee, LESS-lee, LEZ-lee|
|Meaning:||smaller meadow, smaller clearing, garden of hollies, garden by the pool|
|Related Names:||Lea, Leah, Lee, Leigh, Leslea, Leslee, Lesleigh, Lesley, Lesli, Lesly, Lester, Lezlee, Lezley, Lezlie|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Leslie derives from the Gaelic surname “Lesslyn” from the location “Lesslyn” in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, which derives from “less lea” meaning “smaller meadow” or “smaller clearing.” Additionally, “Lesslyn” could mean "garden of hollies" or "garden by the pool."
According to the 1990 United States Census, Leslie ranked as the 143rd most popular female first name, the 208th most popular male first name and the 1,244th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girl's names every decade since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names twelve decades since 1880, including each decade except the most recent one, after decreasing in popularity as a boy’s name for several decades. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 200 most popular girl's names every year from 2000 (89th) through 2006 (108th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Leslie in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:108th
- Year: 2005 Rank:101st
- Year: 2004 Rank:93rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:92nd
- Year: 2002 Rank:94th
- Year: 2001 Rank:85th
- Year: 2000 Rank:89th
- “Leslie” is the name of locations in Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan and Minnesota, USA.
- “Leslie Anne Levine” is the name of a song by “The Decemberists.”
- “Leslie” is the name of a speaker system named after it’s inventor, Donald Leslie.
- “Lieutenant Leslie,” played by Eddie Paskey, is a fictional character from the popular television science fiction show “Star Trek.”
- Bob Hope (born Leslie Townes Hope) – Famous American actor and comedian who won four “Honorary Awards” from the Academy Awards (Oscars), as well as the “Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.”
- Gerald Rudolph Ford, Jr. (born Leslie Lynch King, Jr.) - Thirty-eighth President of the United States.
- Lesley Ann Warren – Television and film actress who was nominated for an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Actress in a Supporting Role” for her work in the 1982 movie “Victor Victoria.”
- Leslie-Anne Down – Film and television actress who was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV” for the 1985 movie “North and South.”
- Leslie Moonves - President and Chief Executive Officer of CBS.
- Leslie Bourgouin – French R&B singer.
Leslie Aaberg, Leslie Aaholm, Leslie Aalberg, Leslie Abady, Leslie Abbagliato, Leslie Abbitt, Leslie Abelson, Leslie Alderfer, Leslie Arndf, Leslie Arocho, Leslie Aaby, Leslie Aagesen, Leslie Aal, Leslie Aalund, Leslie Aamodt, Leslie Aanderud, Leslie Aardahl, Leslie Aardappel, Leslie Aaron, Leslie Aarons, Leslie Aasand, Leslie Aaserude, Leslie Aasheim, Leslie Ababio, Leslie Abacherli, Leslie Abaoymi, Leslie Abaray, Leslie Abatecola, Leslie Abbate, Leslie Abbe, Leslie Abber, Leslie Abbes, Leslie Abbott, Leslie Abbuhl, Leslie Aagaard, Leslie Aaker, Leslie Aaronson, Leslie Abad, Leslie Abadie, Leslie Abaire, Leslie Abalos, Leslie Abarca, Leslie Abarientos, Leslie Abasta, Leslie Abbatiello, Leslie Abbett, Leslie Abbey, Leslie Abbondandelo, Leslie Abbot, Leslie Abbotoni, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||smaller meadow, smaller clearing, garden of hollies, garden by the pool +|
|Meaningnc||smaller meadow, smaller clearing, garden of hollies, garden by the pool +|
|Pronunciation||LES-lee, LEZ-lee, LESS-lee, LEZ-lee +|
|Rank in 2000s||101 +|
|Related||Lea +, Leah +, Lee +, Leigh +, Leslea +, Leslee +, Lesleigh +, Lesley +, Lesli +, Lesly +, Lester +, Lezlee +, Lezley +, and Lezlie +|