|Meaning:||law man, lawyer, mountain, world|
|Related Names:||Lammond, Lamond, Lamonte, Lemond|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Lamont and “Lamond” originate as English surnames meaning “law man” or “lawyer,” deriving from the Old Norse “log” meaning “law” and “mann” meaning “man.” “Lamond” is also a Scottish clan name. “Lamonte” originates from the Spanish “monte” meaning “mountain.” Furthermore, “Lamond” is associated with meaning “world.”
According to the 1990 United States Census , Lamont ranked as the 516th most popular male first name and the 5,153rd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names every decade since the 1940s.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names six out of seven years from 2000 (775th) through 2006 (982nd).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Lamont in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:982nd
- Year: 2005 Rank:DNR
- Year: 2004 Rank:930th
- Year: 2003 Rank:818th
- Year: 2002 Rank:881st
- Year: 2001 Rank:796th
- Year: 2000 Rank:775th
DNR – Did Not Rank in Top 1,000.
- “Lamont” is a name given to locations in California, Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington and Wisconsin, USA.
- “Lamont” is the name of a rock/metal band from Massachusetts consisting of members Mike Cosgrove, Meghan McLaughlin, Josh Kagan, Pete Knipfing, Jay Forney and Todd Bowman. 
- “Lamont” is the name of a lunar crater, spanning a diameter of seventy-five kilometers, which is named for 19th century Scottish-German astronomer Johann von Lamont. 
- “Lamont Sanford,” portrayed by Demond Wilson, is one of the main characters of the 1970s comedic television show “Sanford and Son,” which was nominated for various Emmy Awards and Golden Globes in the 1970s. 
- “Lamont,” played by Guy Torry, is the name of the black prisoner who befriends white supremacist Derek Vinyard, played by Edward Norton, in the 1998 movie American History X. 
- Lamont Damon Jordan – Professional National Football League (NFL) player (running back) who played for the New York Jets (2001 - 2004) and the Oakland Raiders (2005 - present). 
- Gregory James "Greg" LeMond – American cyclist who won the Tour de France three times in 1986, 1989 and 1990 and won the World Championships twice in 1983 (Altenrhein) and 1989 (Chambéry). 
- Jesse L. Martin (born Jesse Lamont Watkins) – Film and television actor who plays Detective Ed Green on the television drama “Law & Order." 
Lamont Smith, Lamont Johnson, Lamont Williams, Lamont Jones, Lamont Brown, Lamont Davis, Lamont Miller, Lamont Wilson, Lamont Moore, Lamont Taylor, Lamont Alexander, Lamont Aley, Lamont A-ellis, Lamont Abalama, Lamont Abbington, Lamont Abbitt, Lamont Abbott, Lamont Abercrombie, Lamont Abernathy, Lamont Abersold, Lamont Abiodun, Lamont Able, Lamont Abner, Lamont Abney, Lamont Abraham, Lamont Abrams, Lamont Accoo, Lamont Acoff, Lamont Adair, Lamont Adams, Lamont Adcock, Lamont Addison, Lamont Addo, Lamont Addy, Lamont Adger, Lamont Adkins, Lamont Adrien, Lamont Agnew, Lamont Aheart, Lamont Ahmad, Lamont Ahn, Lamont Aiken, Lamont Aikens, Lamont Akins, Lamont Akpan, Lamont Albers, Lamont Albert, Lamont Albertson, Lamont Alberty, Lamont Albin, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||law man, lawyer, mountain, world +|
|Meaningnc||law man, lawyer, mountain, world +|
|Pronunciation||la-MAHNT, la-MONT +|
|Rank in 2000s||889 +|
|Related||Lammond +, Lamond +, Lamonte +, and Lemond +|