|Meaning:||of the sea, dweller by the water, famous land|
|Related Names:||Lamara, Lamarcus, Lamarr, Lamarre, Lemar, Lemarr|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Lamar originates from the French surname “La Mar” meaning “of the sea” or “dweller by water.” In German, the name Lamar is associated with meaning “famous land.”
According to the 1990 United States Census , Lamar ranked as the 462nd most popular male first name and the 2,343rd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names every decade since the 1890s.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 800 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (639th) through 2006 (672nd).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Lamar in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:672nd
- Year: 2005 Rank:686th
- Year: 2004 Rank:727th
- Year: 2003 Rank:756th
- Year: 2002 Rank:731st
- Year: 2001 Rank:649th
- Year: 2000 Rank:639th
- “Lamar” is a name bestowed upon locations in Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and South Carolina, USA.
- “Lamar Latrell,” portrayed by Larry B. Scott, is a character in the comedic movies Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise (1987) as well as the television movies Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation (1992) and Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love (1994). 
- “Doctor Lamar,” portrayed by Xander Berkeley, is a character in the 1997 science fiction movie Gattaca who, ultimately, lets Vincent Freeman, played by Ethan Hawke, get away with his ruse in order to be an astronaut. 
- Lamar University: Beaumont, Texas
- Lamar Hunt – Influential American sportsman who founded the American Football League (AFL) in the 1960’s, co-founded the North American Soccer League in the 1960s and was influential in other sports including basketball, tennis and hockey. In 1972, he was inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 
- Joseph Rucker Lamar – United States Supreme Court Associate Justice from 1911 until 1916, when he died. 
- Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar II - United States Supreme Court Associate Justice from 1888 to 1893 and sixteenth United States Secretary of the Interior from 1885 until 1888. 
- Shad Gregory Lamar Moss (aka Lil’ Bow Wow or Bow Wow) – Young rapper who later became an actor as well.
- Phil Lamarr – Comedian who appeared on the sketch comedy television show “MAD TV” from 1995 until 2000 and narrated for the the animated television comedy “Family Guy” from 1999 through 2007. 
- Mirabeau B. Lamar - The second president of the Republic of Texas. He lived from 1798 to 1859 and was in office from 1838 to 1841. Numerous streets and institutions in Texas are named after Mirabeau Lamar. 
Lamar Smith, Lamar Johnson, Lamar Williams, Lamar Jones, Lamar Brown, Lamar Davis, Lamar Miller, Lamar Wilson, Lamar Moore, Lamar Taylor, Lamar Abney, Lamar Adcock, Lamar Aaron, Lamar Agriesti, Lamar Abbott, Lamar Abel, Lamar Abernathy, Lamar Able, Lamar Abner, Lamar Abrahams, Lamar Acorn, Lamar Acy, Lamar Adair, Lamar Adams, Lamar Adamson, Lamar Adcox, Lamar Addison, Lamar Addy, Lamar Adkins, Lamar Adley, Lamar Agard, Lamar Ager, Lamar Agnew, Lamar Aguilar, Lamar Agustin, Lamar Aiazzi, Lamar Aiken, Lamar Aikens, Lamar Aillet, Lamar Aker, Lamar Akin, Lamar Akles, Lamar Alaniz, Lamar Alardin, Lamar Albagdadi, Lamar Babb, Lamar Baber, Lamar Babi, Lamar Baca, Lamar Backman, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||of the sea, dweller by the water, famous land +|
|Meaningnc||of the sea, dweller by the water, famous land +|
|Pronunciation||la-MAR, lah-MAR +|
|Rank in 2000s||695 +|
|Related||Lamara +, Lamarcus +, Lamarr +, Lamarre +, Lemar +, and Lemarr +|