|Pronunciation:||kyl, kile, KIE-ul, KY-ul, KILE|
|Meaning:||narrows, channel, strait, fair and handsome|
|Related Names:||Kylie, Kile, Kiley, Kye, Kylan, Kylar, Kyleigh, Kylen, Kyler, Kyrell|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Kyle originates from the Scottish surname that derives from a location name in southwestern Scotland, Kyle District of Ayrshire. The origin of the name of the Kyle district is believed to stem from the Celtic British King, Old King Cole (of the “Old King Cole” nursery rhyme), which is also spelled “Coil” or “Coel.” Topographically, “Kyle” is “a narrow strip of water,” “a strait” or “a narrow channel” deriving from the Gaelic “caol” meaning “narrow,” “a sound” or “a strait.”
According to the 1990 United States Census , Kyle ranked as the 126th most popular male first name, the 1,588th most popular female first name and the 1,523rd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names twelve decades since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names two decades since 1880.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 100 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (37th) through 2006 (80th).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Kyle in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:80th
- Year: 2005 Rank:67th
- Year: 2004 Rank:55th
- Year: 2003 Rank:53rd
- Year: 2002 Rank:40th
- Year: 2001 Rank:40th
- Year: 2000 Rank:37th
- “Kyle” is the name of babies belonging to celebrities Clint Eastwood, Frank Gifford, Howie Long, Matthew Fox and Natalie Cole.
- “Kyle” is a name bestowed upon locations in South Dakota and Texas, USA.
- “Kyle” was the name of a category one hurricane during the 2002 Atlantic hurricane season, which was the fourth longest-lived Atlantic storm.
- “Kyle XY” is the name of a science fiction, teen drama, television show, starring a character name Kyle Trager, played by Matt Dallas.
- “Kyle Broflovski,” narrated by Matt Stone, is a character in the animated television comedy “South Park.”
- “Kyle Field” is where the Fightin Texas Aggies play football games.
- “Kyle” is the name of an airport located at Kyle, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Kyle Maclachlan – Film and television actor who was nominated for two Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series” for his work on “Twin Peaks" in 1990 and 1991.
- Kyle Eugene Petty – NASCAR race driver who has recorded eight wins. He is also the son of racing legend Richard Petty.
- Kyle Chandler – Film and television actor who was nominated for an Emmy Award for “Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series” for his work on the television drama “Grey's Anatomy" in 2006. He currently plays Coach Eric Taylor on the television show “Friday Night Lights.”
Kyle Smith, Kyle Johnson, Kyle Williams, Kyle Jones, Kyle Brown, Kyle Davis, Kyle Miller, Kyle Wilson, Kyle Moore, Kyle Taylor, Kyle Aagard, Kyle Aahl, Kyle Abascal, Kyle Abee, Kyle Abele, Kyle Abell, Kyle Abello, Kyle Abernatha, Kyle Abilay, Kyle Abildstrom, Kyle Able, Kyle Abner, Kyle Abott, Kyle Kapsiak, Kyle Aagenes, Kyle Aardal, Kyle Aarnes, Kyle Abercrombie, Kyle Aaman, Kyle Aamodt, Kyle Abadie, Kyle Abarca, Kyle Abbe, Kyle Abbie, Kyle Abbot, Kyle Abdalla, Kyle Abeline, Kyle Abelson, Kyle Aberle, Kyle Abernathy, Kyle Ableman, Kyle Abney, Kyle Abraham, Kyle Abrahamovich, Kyle Abrahams, Kyle Abrahamsen, Kyle Aguillard, Kyle Aguom, Kyle Aguon, Kyle Alman, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||narrows, channel, strait, fair and handsome +|
|Meaningnc||narrows, channel, strait, fair and handsome +|
|Origin||Australian +, and Gaelic +|
|Pronunciation||kyl, kile, KIE-ul, KY-ul, KILE +|
|Rank in 2000s||52 +|
|Related||Kylie +, Kile +, Kiley +, Kye +, Kylan +, Kylar +, Kyleigh +, Kylen +, Kyler +, and Kyrell +|