|Meaning:||leeward, powder, South|
|Related Names:||Pelekekona, Konane|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer. We offer domain names, premium domains, and cheap domain names.Use your very own web presence to ask `O wai kou inoa. Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Mahalo.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Kona is of Hawaiian origin, and it is a term that refers to a particular direction. Several sources claim the meaning is "south," but a more accurate meaning is "leeward." Leeward refers to the dry side of the island, the side opposite of that which the storms normally hit.  The name is used for several locations in the Hawaiian Islands, and is also given to a particular type of wind and storm, the Kona Winds, or Kona Storms.
Alternatively, the word "kona" is Japanese for "powder." 
Kona has not appeared in the top 1000 baby names in the United States in any recorded year. 
As a location and company name, it is very popular within Hawaii, but unlikely to be found outside of the Islands.
- Kona, Hawaii is the location of the Ford Ironman World Championship, a famous triathalon of the Ironman Series.
- Kona is the Hawaiian equivalent of the names Don or Donna.
- The name Pelekekona is the Hawaiian equivalent of the name Preston.
- The name Kalikona is the Hawaiian equivalent of the name Clayton.
- The name Kokona is the Hawaiian equivalent of the name Gordon.
- Lakona is the Hawaiian equivalent of the name Jason. 
- Kailua-Kona, Hawaii: a city on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Kona Coffee: coffee grown on the Kona side of the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Kona Brewing Company: Beer and Ale, established 1998.
- Kona, Monarch of Monster Isle: comic book character, 1960s.
- KONA: radio station in Kennewick, Washington.
- l'kona: indie band.
- The Christopher Moore novel Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings features a character named Kona.
Kona Banona, Kona Achterhof, Kona Allen, Kona Alston, Kona America, Kona Ashong, Kona Auman, Kona Baron, Kona Coe, Kona Fearne, Kona Cho, Kona Kai, Kona Koa, Kona La, Kona Coffee, Kona Ki, More results
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||leeward, powder, South +|
|Meaningnc||leeward, powder, south +|
|Origin||Hawaiian +, and Japanese +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Pelekekona +, and Konane +|