|Meaning:||Cyneburg's field, land belonging to Cyneburga, meadow of the royal fort, ruler|
|Related Names:||Kim, Kimba, Kimber, Kimberlee, Kimberleigh, Kimberley, Kimberli, Kimberlie, Kimberlin, Kimberlyn, Kimblyn, Kimbra, Kimm, Kimmie, Kimmy, Kym, Kymberlee, Kymberleigh, Kymberley, Kymberlie, Kymberly, Kymbra, Kymbrely, -ly|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Kimberly derives from the location name of a city in South Africa, named after Lord Kimberley, whose surname means “Cyneburg's field” or “land belonging to Cyneburga." Cyneburga was an Old English name meaning “royal fortress,” which was a combination of “cyne” meaning "royal" and “burg” meaning "fortress.” The name Kimberly can also be translated as "meadow of the royal fort."
According to the 1990 United States Census, Kimberly ranked as the 24th most popular female first name and the 14,276th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names seven decades since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. In the 21st century,
United States Popularity of the girl's name Kimberly in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2007 Rank:53rd
- Year: 2006 Rank:58th
- Year: 2005 Rank:63rd
- Year: 2004 Rank:61st
- Year: 2003 Rank:64th
- Year: 2002 Rank:63rd
- Year: 2001 Rank:61st
- Year: 2000 Rank:58th
- “Kimberly” is the name of locations in Arkansas, California, Idaho, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
- March 20th is celebrated in Finland and Sweden in honor of the name Kim.
- "Kim" is a common Vietnamese first name for women. This instance of the word is pronounced "Keem" and has nothing to do with the Kimberly/Kim of English origin. It most likely originates as a first name for Chinese. “Kim” is also the most common surname name in Korea.
- “Kim” is the name of people who inhabit the country Chad.
- “Kimberly” is a song by Patti Smith on the punk rock album “Horses.”
- “Kim Chords” is a song by Sonic Youth.
- “Kim Possible” is an animated Disney character.
- “Kim” is the name of a song by hip hop rapper Eminem.
- “Kim” is a novel by Rudyard Kipling.
- Kim Basinger – Television and film actress who won an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Actress in a Supporting Role” for her work in the movie “L.A. Confidential” in 1997.
- Kimberly McCullough – Television soap opera star who won two daytime Emmy Awards for her acting in the show “General Hospital” and received four other nominations.
- Kim Dae-jung - Nobel Prize winner for peace in 2000.
- Kimberly Duane Mulkey – Basketball coach and former player who is a member of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Kimberly Williams – Film and television actress, who has also done directing, producing and writing.
- Kim Campbell (born Avril Phaedra Douglas Campbell ) - Prime Minister of Canada.
Kimberly Smith, Kimberly Johnson, Kimberly Williams, Kimberly Jones, Kimberly Brown, Kimberly Davis, Kimberly Miller, Kimberly Wilson, Kimberly Moore, Kimberly Taylor, Kimberly Aaberg, Kimberly Aaenson, Kimberly Aakre, Kimberly Aamot, Kimberly Aarthun, Kimberly Aasand, Kimberly Aasen, Kimberly Abadie, Kimberly Abado, Kimberly Abaee, Kimberly Abarbanel, Kimberly Abatto, Kimberly Alatoum, Kimberly A-kenneth, Kimberly Aagre, Kimberly Aakhus, Kimberly Aalberg, Kimberly Aallen, Kimberly Aanensen, Kimberly Aanenson, Kimberly Aaroe, Kimberly Aarons, Kimberly Aay, Kimberly Abad, Kimberly Abadeen, Kimberly Abadir, Kimberly Abadoe, Kimberly Abair, Kimberly Abajian, Kimberly Abalos, Kimberly Abaloz, Kimberly Abanathie, Kimberly Abara, Kimberly Abare, Kimberly Abatangelo, Kimberly Abate, Kimberly Alastra, Kimberly Alawine, Kimberly Kainoa, Kimberly Paige, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||Cyneburg's field, land belonging to Cyneburga, meadow of the royal fort, ruler +|
|Meaningnc||cyneburg's field, land belonging to cyneburga, meadow of the royal fort, ruler +|
|Pronunciation||KIM-bur-lee, KIM-ber-lee +|
|Rank in 2000s||57 +|
|Related||Kim +, Kimba +, Kimber +, Kimberlee +, Kimberleigh +, Kimberley +, Kimberli +, Kimberlie +, Kimberlin +, Kimberlyn +, Kimblyn +, Kimbra +, Kimm +, Kimmie +, Kimmy +, Kym +, Kymberlee +, Kymberleigh +, Kymberley +, Kymberlie +, Kymberly +, Kymbra +, Kymbrely +, and -ly +|