|Pronunciation:||KEV-in, keh-vin, KEV-en|
|Meaning:||beautiful at birth, handsome|
|Related Names:||Kavan, Kevan, Keven, Keveon, Kevinn, Kevion, Kevis, Kevon, Kevron, Kevyn|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Kevin derives from the Irish Gaelic “Caoimhin” meaning “handsome” or “little gentle one,” which derives further back to the Irish “Coemgen,” which is a combination of “coem” meaning “kind,” “gentle” or “handsome” and “gein” meaning “birth.”
In the 6th century, Saint Caoimhín created a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland. He is the patron Saint of Dublin and is credited with spreading the popularity of the name Kevin.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Kevin ranked as the 23rd most popular male first name, the 2,162nd most popular female first name and the 56,332nd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names nine decades since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular girl's names in the 1960’s.
United States Popularity of the boy's name Kevin in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:37th
- Year: 2005 Rank:33rd
- Year: 2004 Rank:34th
- Year: 2003 Rank:31st
- Year: 2002 Rank:31st
- Year: 2001 Rank:29th
- Year: 2000 Rank:31st
In 2007, the popularity of the boy’s name Kevin ranked 37th in Sweden.
- June 3rd is celebrated by the Catholic Church in honor of St. Kevin.
- June 3rd is celebrated in France and Slovakia in honor of St. Kevin.
- "Cousin Kevin” is a song by the rock music group “The Who.”
- "Kevin Carter” is a song by “The Manic Street Preachers.”
- "Kevin Ayers” is a song by the band “Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.”
- "1. David Jay 2. Peter Murphy 3. Kevin Haskins 4. Daniel Ash” is a song by “Bauhaus.”
- Kevin Bacon – Movie and television actor associated with the connectivity game “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.”
- Kevin Spacey – Television and film actor who won two Academy Awards (Oscars) for “Best Actor in a Leading Role” in the movie “American Beauty (1999) and “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” in the movie “The Usual Suspects” (1995).
- Kevin Kline – Television and film actor who won an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” for his work in the 1988 movie “A Fish Called Wanda.”
- Kevin Maurice Garnett – Eleven time NBA All Star who was voted the “Most Valuable Player” in 2004.
- Kevin Seconds – Musician who founded the hardcore punk band “7 Seconds” in 1979.
- Kevin Costner – Movie actor, director and producer who won two Academy Awards (Oscars) for “Best Director” and “Best Picture” for the movie “Dances with Wolves” (1990).
- Kevin Edward McHale – Hall of Fame basketball player.
- Kevin Michael Rudd - 26th Prime Minister of Australia.
Kevin Baxter, Kevin Chapman, Kevin Davison, Kevin Ferguson, Kevin Kehoe, Kevin Lowe, Kevin Smith, Kevin Johnson, Kevin Williams, Kevin Jones, Kevin Brown, Kevin Davis, Kevin Miller, Kevin Wilson, Kevin Moore, Kevin Taylor, Kevin Abar, Kevin Abarca, Kevin Abarrett, Kevin Abate, Kevin Abathan, Kevin Abato, Kevin Abb, Kevin Abderson, Kevin Ashtari, Kevin Closson, Kevin Aalto, Kevin Ayed, Kevin Cale, Kevin Rinne, Kevin Robert, Kevin Axx, Kevin Ayala, Kevin Ayanian, Kevin Agelink, Kevin Barreiro, Kevin David, Kevin Oana, Kevin Abbadusky, Kevin Abbamonte, Kevin Abbarno, Kevin Abbas, Kevin Abbate, Kevin Abbatessa, Kevin Abbaticchio, Kevin Abbe, Kevin Abbenante, Kevin Abbensetts, Kevin Abberton, Kevin Abbey, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||beautiful at birth, handsome +|
|Meaningnc||beautiful at birth, handsome +|
|Pronunciation||KEV-in, keh-vin, KEV-en +|
|Rank in 2000s||33 +|
|Related||Kavan +, Kevan +, Keven +, Keveon +, Kevinn +, Kevion +, Kevis +, Kevon +, Kevron +, and Kevyn +|