|Meaning:||who is like God?|
|Related Names:||Cayla, Caylie, Jakayla, Kaela, Kaelah, Kaila, Kailah, Kathrine, Kay, Kaylah, Kayle, Kaylee, Kaylin, Kaylyn, Keila, Keyla, Mckayla, Michaela|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Kayla may have several different origins.
- Kayla may be a variation of the name Kay, a Welsh name meaning "full of joy" or "rejoicing."
- Kayla may be a shortened form of the name Michaela, the feminine form of the Hebrew name Michael which means "who resembles God?". To better fit with English phonetics, Michaela is sometimes spelled as Makayla or Mikayla, and Kayla is an easy nickname.
- Kayla may have derived from the name Katherine, a Greek name meaning "pure." Katherine has almost 200 variant forms.
- Kayla may be an alternative spelling of the Yiddish name Kaila, which traces back to the Hebrew Kelila, meaning "crown of laurel."
In the United States, the name Kayla first appeared on the list of top 1000 most popular girls' names in the year 1959. The name hung around the lower ranks of the top 1000 until the late 1970s when it began to climb into the middle ranks. Popularity skyrocketed in the early 1980s, jumping from number 581 in 1981 to 133 in 1982. Popularity continued to increase, and Kayla has been a top 50 name since 1987. The increase in popularity in the 1980s may be related to the soap opera character Kayla Brady from Days of Our Lives who appeared on the show in the early 1980s. The name had already come into usage and was solidly in the 600 ranks during the 1970s, but this famous namesake may have been the cause of the spike in the 1980s. The name Kayla was most popular in 1995 and 1996, when it ranked as the 11th most popular girl's name in the United States. In 2007, Kayla ranked at number 26.
Kayla is a popular name in Australia. It ranked highest as the 20th most popular girl's name in 2000, and in 2007, it ranked at number 67. In New Zealand, it is equally popular, ranking highest at number 32 in 2001.
Kayla has seen increased popularity in Scotland and Ireland in the early 21st century. In 2007, Kayla ranked as the 41st most popular girl's name in Scotland. In Ireland, Kayla ranked as highly as number 67 in 2005.
- The Kayla language is a now-extinct language once used by the Ethiopian Jews.
- Kayla: Airheads
- Kayla: Marvel Comics Presents
- Kayla Gordon: Skater Boys
- Kayla Brady Johnson: Days of Our Lives
- Kayla Huntington: Desperate Housewives
- Kayla West: Jett Jackson: The Movie
- Kayla: Sirius radio DJ
- Kayla: an Orca whale at SeaWorld San Antonio (born November 26, 1988)
- Kayla Blake: actress (born December 4, 1963)
- Kayla Ewell: actress (born August 27, 1985)
- Kayla Gray: author
- Kayla Kennington: fashion designer
- Kayla Locicero: country music singer (born June 11, 1988)
- Kayla Mae Maloney: actress
- Kayla Perrin: author
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||who is like God? +|
|Meaningnc||who is like god? +|
|Origin||Hebrew +, and English +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Cayla +, Caylie +, Jakayla +, Kaela +, Kaelah +, Kaila +, Kailah +, Kathrine +, Kay +, Kaylah +, Kayle +, Kaylee +, Kaylin +, Kaylyn +, Keila +, Keyla +, Mckayla +, and Michaela +|