|Meaning:||friend, beloved, precious, cherished one, graceful, beautiful, sweet melody, pure|
|Related Names:||Cara, Kaira, Kar, Karabeth, Karah, Karalee, Karalie, Karalyn, Karalynn, Karee, Karen, Kari, Kariana, Kariann, Karianna, Karianne, Karie, Karielle, Karina, Karrah, Karri, Karrie, Kary, Katherine, Kera, Kiara|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The girl's name Kara is derived from Cara, a name originating from the Gaelic and Italian languages. In the Turkish language, Kara is a male name.  The diminutive form Karina is a popular name choice in Russia. 
According to the Social Security Administration, the name Kara first appeared among the top 1000 names for girls in 1956. Since 1967, Kara has consistently ranked among the top 300 names. 
- 2007: Rank = 289
- 2006: Rank = 281
- 2005: Rank = 268
- 2004: Rank = 249
- 2003: Rank = 239
- 2002: Rank = 223
- 2001: Rank = 216
- 2000: Rank = 192
- 1999: Rank = 183
- 1998: Rank = 176
- 1997: Rank = 161
- 1996: Rank = 165
- 1995: Rank = 152
- The Kara Sea is part of the Arctic Ocean, north of Russia and Siberia.
- Kara is a city in northern Togo.
- Kara is the name of a meteor crater in Nenetsia, Russia.
- Kara is an Austronesian language spoken by about 5,000 people (as of 1998) in Papua New Guinea.
- A kara is an iron bracelet worn by both males and females who have been baptized in the Sikhism religion.
- The Kara is a class of Soviet guided missile cruisers built during the Cold War era.
- Kara Fratelli - character in the film Not Another Teen Movie
- Kara Milovy - character in the James Bond film The Living Daylights
- Kara Wade - character in the film Stealth
- Kara Lynn Joyce (b. 1985) - American Olympic swimmer
- Kara Crane (b. 1990) - American film actress
- Kara Edwards (b. 1977) - American voice actress
- Kara Lawson (b. 1981) - WNBA basketball player
- Kara Walker (b. 1969) - American contemporary artist
- Kara DioGuardi (b.1970) - American singer-songwriter, record producer, music publisher, A&R executive, and TV personality
Kara Smith, Kara Johnson, Kara Williams, Kara Jones, Kara Brown, Kara Davis, Kara Miller, Kara Wilson, Kara Moore, Kara Taylor, Kara Aaby, Kara Aaron, Kara Abel, Kara Abelgore, Kara Abernathy, Kara Absher, Kara Abston, Kara Abatto, Kara Abrahamson, Kara Abramoff, Kara Achterhof, Kara Adamis, Kara Adamo, Kara Adamson, Kara Adcock, Kara Aakre, Kara Aamodt, Kara Abate, Kara Abbatacola, Kara Abbatello, Kara Abbe, Kara Abbott, Kara Abbruzzese, Kara Abdallah, Kara Abdo, Kara Abegglen, Kara Abell, Kara Abella, Kara Abendroth, Kara Aberl, Kara Aberle, Kara Abgott, Kara Abner, Kara Abney, Kara Abradi, Kara Abraham, Kara Abram, Kara Abresch, Kara Abstone, Kara Acchione, More results
Author: Samantha Bell
|Meaning||friend, beloved, precious, cherished one, graceful, beautiful, sweet melody, pure +|
|Meaningnc||friend, beloved, precious, cherished one, graceful, beautiful, sweet melody, pure +|
|Origin||Gaelic +, Irish +, Greek +, English +, Latin +, and Italian +|
|Pronunciation||KAR-ah, KARE-uh +|
|Rank in 2000s||244 +|
|Related||Cara +, Kaira +, Kar +, Karabeth +, Karah +, Karalee +, Karalie +, Karalyn +, Karalynn +, Karee +, Karen +, Kari +, Kariana +, Kariann +, Karianna +, Karianne +, Karie +, Karielle +, Karina +, Karrah +, Karri +, Karrie +, Kary +, Katherine +, Kera +, and Kiara +|