|Related Names:||Iulian, Jude, Jules, Julia, Julian, Julianna, Julie, Juliet, Julietta, Juliette, Julius, -ien|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Julien originated in Latin with the word for 'sky' (which is how we came to have the Julian calendar) and was used throughout history around Europe. The spelling Julien is the form that has remained in French-speaking areas and the common English spelling is Julian. Historically, the name is only to be given to male children, but the name is becoming a female name as well as a male name. It is, of course, also a surname.
The name Julien (despite recently having the possibility to be a female given name) only makes the list of the top 1000 given names for boys; it does not appear on the female list. For boys, the popularity of the name is rising in the US. In 2006, the name was the 596th most popular male given name. The name has only made it onto the list of most popular boys' names since 1990, and its average popularity from 1990-1999 was that it was the 946th most commonly given male name. Considering that, being 596th in 2006 shows a very strong upward trend toward popularity in the US. 
In France, the name remains extremely popular, ranging from 11th to 14th most popular in recent years (as a name for boys). In Belgium, the name is also popular: it ranked 18th in 2001. In Australia and Canada the name is also more popular than it is in the US, although it is not as popular as it is in French-speaking Europe. In Canada, the boys' name was 287th in 2003 and in Australia, the name was 379th in 1997. 
- The name Julien celebrates its national name day on August 2nd in France every year.
- Sacha Distel named her son Julien
- Julien Inc is the name of a stainless steel fabricator
- Julien was the name given to two small French car production efforts. The first was in Blois in the 1920's and the second was in Paris in the 1940's.
- Julien Vauclair is a professional hockey player
- Suzanne Julien is a professional writer
- Viviane Julien is also a professional writer
- Julien Josephson was an American screenwriter
- Julien Temple is a British film director famous for his work with the Sex Pistols
- Julien Chouinard was a Canadian lawyer and Supreme Court Justice
- Julien Duvivier was a French film director
- Julien Green was a French-born American author
Julien Appignani, Julien Aubry, Julien Almonor, Julien Edouard, Julien Abadie, Julien Abellard, Julien Abergel, Julien Abner, Julien Abou, Julien Abramovici, Julien Abril, Julien Adam, Julien Adams, Julien Adicho, Julien Adler, Julien Agnetti, Julien Agnew, Julien Ais, Julien Aklei, Julien Bachman, Julien Badger, Julien Baessens, Julien Baeumlin, Julien Bah, Julien Bahnson, Julien Baker, Julien Lips, Julien Chaumont, Julien Chouinard, Julien Duvivier, Julien Green, Julien Josephson, Julien Temple, Julien Vauclair, Julien Lanard, Julien Sailly, Julien Martinez, Julien Rochat, Julien Fanchette, Julien Sobatka, Julien Milad, Julien Mauron, Julien Prodigue, Julien Chauve, Julien Archambault, Julien Bagout, Julien Darada, Julien Wyatt, Julien Bellier, Julien Grayer, More results
|Rank in 2000s||619 +|
|Related||Iulian +, Jude +, Jules +, Julia +, Julian +, Julianna +, Julie +, Juliet +, Julietta +, Juliette +, Julius +, and -ien +|