|Meaning:||youthful; child of Jove; soft-haired|
|Related Names:||Giulia, Jules, Julia, Julian, Julianna, Julianne, Juliet, Julietta, Juliette, Julius, Yulia, -ie(2), Jolie, Jewel|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Julie is French and stems from Latin Julia, the female form of the male given name Julius. The name Julie is a popular French name still, although other parts of the world have made it more popular than it has remained in France. According to Wikipedia, the first appearance of the name Julie in a non-French publication was in 1888 in a Swedish play from the author August Strindberg. The play was named 'Miss Julie' and the popularity of the play may be what prompted the name Julie to become so popular in other languages.
The name Julie was most popular in America in the 60s and 70s although it remains a popular name still. In the 1960s the female given name Julie was the 18th most popular name for baby girls. In the seventies, it was still the 20th most popular female given name. Nowadays, the name still ranks in the top few hundred (last data ranks it as 296th in 2006) despite a significant decline in popularity since the early second half of the twentieth century.
In other parts of the world, Julie is more popular than it is in America. For example, in northern Europe, the name Julie ranks number one in Denmark (2000) and number one in Norway (2001). It is also very popular in Belgium, Sweden, France, Canada and Australia, although records for those countries never show the name Julie reaching number one. 
- In France, the name Julie has a name day on April 8th; this is also the day for which the Catholic Church has deemed Julie the name of the day.
- In the Czech Republic, Julie's official name day is December 10th.
- In Italy, the name Julie is celebrated on May 22nd.
- Julie was one of Ross's girlfriends on FRIENDS, and the girlfriend that he broke up with in order to be with Rachel
- 'Julie' is a song by David Bowie
- 'Julie' is the name of a horror film made in 1956
- 'Julie of the Wolves' is a young readers' novel by Jean Craighead George
- Julie Andrews is a world-renowned actress, perhaps most famous for her role as Maria in The Sound of Music
- Julie Rose is the daughter of Eric Clapton
- Julie is a daughter of French actor Gerard Depardieu
- Julie is a child of Richard Nixon
- Julie Delpy is an actress
Julie Kantor, Julie Quinn, Julie Smith, Julie Johnson, Julie Williams, Julie Jones, Julie Brown, Julie Davis, Julie Miller, Julie Wilson, Julie Moore, Julie Taylor, Julie Aafedt, Julie Aalberg, Julie Aalmo, Julie Aamot, Julie Aanes, Julie Aarhus, Julie Aarness, Julie Aavatsmark, Julie Abad, Julie Abadie, Julie Abban, Julie Abbiati, Julie Alsaegh, Julie Amdahl, Julie A-e, Julie Aaby, Julie Aadland, Julie Aadlandlewis, Julie Aagard, Julie Aageson, Julie Aakhus, Julie Aakre, Julie Aal, Julie Aalbers, Julie Aalfs, Julie Aalund, Julie Aamodt, Julie Aamold, Julie Aandal, Julie Aanderud, Julie Aanenson, Julie Aanerud, Julie Aanestad, Julie Aardahl, Julie Aardappel, Julie Aardema, Julie Aarestrup, Julie Aarnall, More results
Author: Rachel Hanson
|Meaning||youthful; child of Jove; soft-haired +|
|Meaningnc||youthful; child of jove; soft-haired +|
|Origin||French +, and Latin +|
|Rank in 2000s||248 +|
|Related||Giulia +, Jules +, Julia +, Julian +, Julianna +, Julianne +, Juliet +, Julietta +, Juliette +, Julius +, Yulia +, -ie(2) +, Jolie +, and Jewel +|