|Meaning:||child of John|
|Related Names:||John, -s, Jonas, Jonesy, Miller, Smith|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Jones originates as a surname from the name John meaning “child of John.” However, the name evolved into a given first name in its own right, which is primarily utilized in English speaking countries.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Jones ranked as the 4th most popular last name.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names off and on from 1880 (660th) through 1931 (962nd), peaking in popularity in 1884, when it ranked 533rd.
- “Jones” is the middle name bestowed upon a child of celebrity Shaun Cassidy. 
- “Bob Jones University (BJU)” is private, liberal arts college located in Greenville, South Carolina.
- “Jones” is a type of American soda pop founded in 1995, which includes a diverse line of beverage flavors.
- “Keeping up with the Jones’” is popular American phrase that refers to the consumer mentality of buying items because your neighbor owns them. Since Jones is a popular American last name, the name “Jones” is utilized in the phrase, but the popular surname “Smith” is also utilized in such phrases.
- “Mr. Jones” is the name of a song by the rock music group “Counting Crows” appearing on their 1994 album “August and Everything After.” 
- James Earl Boggins Jones – American actor who was nominated for an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Actor in a Leading Role” for his role in the 1970 movie The Great White Hope. He also won a daytime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Performer in a Children's Special” for his role in Summer's End in 1999 and two primetime Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Special” for his role in Heat Wave in 1990 and for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series” for his role in Gabriel's Fire in 1990. Additionally, he was nominated for six other primetime Emmy Awards spanning from 1964 through 2004. He is also widely known for his deep voice as a voice actor. 
- Marion Lois Jones – Former American Olympian who won several medals, but was found to be using performance enhancing drugs, which prompted many of her medals to be stripped from her, as well as her relay teammates, which caused much controversy. 
- Norah Jones – Singer and songwriter who won several Grammy Awards for her work on the 2002 album “Come Away With Me” and the 2004 record “Here We Go Again.” Most recently, she won “Album Of The Year” in 2007 for “River: The Joni Letters.” 
Jones Abbey, Jones Abby, Jones Abello, Jones Abia, Jones Abraham, Jones Acton, Jones Adkins, Jones Afari, Jones Akinware, Jones Akoto-lartey, Jones Aaron, Jones Abe, Jones Abernethy, Jones Ac, Jones Acquah, Jones Adams, Jones Adrianne, Jones Agbeti, Jones Agyei-larbi, Jones Aj, Jones Ajatuaewo, Jones Akpa, Jones Alex, Jones Abioseh, Jones Abushe, Jones Ace, Jones Adam, Jones Addison, Jones Addoh, Jones Adore, Jones Adu, Jones Adukeh, Jones Afriyie, Jones Agin, Jones Agyare, Jones Agyeman, Jones Agyepong, Jones Aide, Jones Akin, Jones Akinsara, Jones Al, Jones Baafi, Jones Bachelor, Jones Badu, Jones Bagwell, Jones Bailey, Jones Baker, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||child of John +|
|Meaningnc||child of john +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||John +, -s +, Jonas +, Jonesy +, Miller +, and Smith +|