|Related Names:||Jon, Jonny, Johnathan, Jo-, Nathan|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Jonathan is a first name for boys. Jonathan comes from Biblical times. Jonathan appears multiple times in the Bible, but is most commonly known as the son of King Saul, and was one of David's best friends.
Jonathan is actually a longer version of Nathan, and not a longer version of John, as it is commonly believed. In Hebrew, Jonathan derives from the name 'Yônāṯān', and John derives from 'Yôḥānnān', and means 'God is gracious'.
Jonathan is an extremely popular name in the United States, as evidenced by the following chart showing its rank from the years 2006-1998.
|Year of Birth||Rank|
But Jonathan isn't only popular in the United States. In Sweden, from 1998-2006, Jonathan was ranked 6th to 26th overall. In Denmark, as of 2005, Jonathan was ranked at 38th overall.
The Amazing Jonathan is a comedian, magician and actor. His name is not actually Jonathan, but John. Jonathan is his stage name, most likely due to the confusion that Jonathan is a elongated version of John.
Brother Jonathan was the original personification of the United States. Uncle Sam, with his top hat and beard, didn't actually appear until the 1850's. British loyalists of Revolutionary America would refer to Revolutionary patriots as 'Brother Jonathan'. There is some belief that Brother Jonathan was originally based off of Jonathan Trumbull, the governor of Connecticut. Brother Jonathan shared many of the same distinctive characteristics we associate with Uncle Sam today. He often had a top hat, a long-tailed coat and striped pants.
It is believed that Brother Jonathan was replaced by Uncle Sam during the Civil War because of what the two personifications stood for. Brother Jonathan was seen as a conglomeration of many different states who joined together for common ideals. After the Civil War, Uncle Sam was used to signify a single country, that happens to be divided into individual states.
- There is a character named Jonathan Levinson in the 2001 Buffy comics
- Minnesota has a town named Jonathan
- In Tamora Pierce's popular YA novels, there is a king named Jonathan of Conte
- There is a variety of apple named Jonathan
- Jonathan Swift: Born on November 30, 1667, author
- Jonathan Bender: Born on January 30, 1981, basketball player
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas: Born on September 8, 1981, actor/entertainer (Home Improvement)
- Jonathan Makiling Abaya: Born on November 16, 1957, martial arts grandmaster (founder of Jendo)/Professor
- Jonathan Babineaux: Born on October 12, 1981, football player (NFL)
- Jonathan Brandis: Born on April 13, 1976, actor/entertainer (One Life To Live)
- Jonathan Byrd: PGA tour golfer
- Jonathan Crombie: Born on October 12, 1966, actor/entertainer (Anne of Green Gables)
- Jonathan Firth: Born on April 6, 1967, actor/entertainer
- Jonathan Frakes: Born on August 19, 1952, actor/entertainer (Star Trek)
- Jonathan Frid: Born on December 2, 1924 actor/entertainer (Dark Shadows)
- Jonathan Jackson: Born on May 11, 1982, actor/entertainer (General Hospital/Tuck Everlasting)
- Jonathan Kaye: Born on August 2, 1970, PGA tour golfer
Jonathan Abraham, Jonathan Dysart, Jonathan Hart, Jonathan Klein, Jonathan Moreland, Jonathan Pippin, Jonathan Smith, Jonathan Johnson, Jonathan Williams, Jonathan Jones, Jonathan Brown, Jonathan Davis, Jonathan Miller, Jonathan Wilson, Jonathan Moore, Jonathan Taylor, Jonathan Aagard, Jonathan Aakre, Jonathan Aal, Jonathan Aaronsohn, Jonathan Aaronson, Jonathan Aase, Jonathan Abad, Jonathan Abadilla, Jonathan Abanilla, Jonathan Abaquin, Jonathan Abarbanel, Jonathan Abayev, Jonathan Abbe, Jonathan Abbot, Jonathan Abell, Jonathan Aberle, Jonathan Aberman, Jonathan Abernathy, Jonathan Abeyta, Jonathan Abramovich, Jonathan Abramowitz, Jonathan Abril, Jonathan Cadieux, Jonathan Tackett, Jonathan Xavier, Jonathan Aaberg, Jonathan Aadland, Jonathan Aardal, Jonathan Aasen, Jonathan Abadano, Jonathan Abando, Jonathan Abbas, Jonathan Abbate, Jonathan Abbenante, More results
Author: Anna Linstrom
|Rank in 2000s||20 +|
|Related||Jon +, Jonny +, Johnathan +, Jo- +, and Nathan +|